Corsair Community

HX850w overheating and restarting PC

Welsige

Hi,

My Pc have been restarting with increasing frequency over time. Monitoring of system temperatures dosen't show anything out of the ordinary.

Thru testing, it seems my PSU (HX850W), or something impacting it, is the guilty part. The PSU fan under load dosen't seems to spin very fast. Also, I found out that the bellow air filter was clogged with dust.

I used a spare Seventeam 500w PSU I had, and the system worked OK for 1 day, without issues and its fan was like a hurricane (not original fan). Also the HX850w worked ok out of my case for some hours even under load, but the fan seemed to spin slow.

What worries me is that, even under load, the Fan seems to spin very slowly producing little air flow. Having seen people complaining about a loud fan, mine being quiet and slow maybe indicate an issue with the fan.

Having the 900D case, I will say that I never cleared its dust filter at the bottom. The PSU mount in that case makes the air go down to a cloged air filter about 1 cm away.

So my question are these:

- Can the combination of a slow fan and the clogged filter be the causes of the restarts?

- Should i worry about the slow fan even under load? What would be a good replacement for it?

Also, is there a Fan positioning in the case that can help the PSU dissipate its heat?

thanks in advance,

- Can the combination of a slow fan and the clogged filter be the causes of the restarts? Yes, if the PSU is overheating to the point of shutting down it could cause the restarts. Is the case of the PSU getting too hot to touch? Your computer specs don't indicate that the PSU would be loaded very much so possibly the PSU is operating normally and the fan speed is low because the PSU is not working very hard.

- Should i worry about the slow fan even under load? What would be a good replacement for it? Is he PSU still under warranty? If so, I'd recommend you try and RMA the unit. Until you can determine if the PSU is actually malfunctioning, I wouldn't swap the fan. I'd try your 850 in another computer, if you can, to see if the other computer shuts down like your current one.

Also, is there a Fan positioning in the case that can help the PSU dissipate its heat?

Fan down would aid ambient air flow because heat rises but I doubt it would make much difference one way or the other.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, after puting back the HX, starting Red Orchestra 2, and bang, PC restarts like 10 minutes into the first match. The PSU is outside my case and dosent felt hot to the touch. So now I am afraid it may be something wrong with it besides the fan, and the dust alone in the filters dosent seem to be a causing factor.

So I put back my spare, played 2 hours straight the same game, no issues.

If the computer continues the good behaviour working with the replacement, I am considering trying to RMA it. The only thing that complicates it is the international shipping, wich probably will keep this PSU in travel from 4 weeks to who knows :)

Bad news, yesterday i powered my PC with the replacement and it happened again. Rebooted while starting skype and remote desktop. After the new powerup, restarted again after some minutes of light non-intensive use (remote desktop and browser) and even one time it rebooted alone, without being used at all.

The funny thing is that I then fired up a temperature (core temp) monitor and let run for some hours Orthos for CPU stress test and the temps seemed ok (37C idle, 48-51 on load).

I am kind of at a loss, cant figure out what could be causing these random reboots.

• Corsair Employee

- Can the combination of a slow fan and the clogged filter be the causes of the restarts? Yes, if the PSU is overheating to the point of shutting down it could cause the restarts.

Afraid not. If over-temperature protection kicks in, that PSU wouldn't power back on until it was cool enough to do so. So you're not looking at a cycle of time that is "fast enough" to be considered a reboot.

Fan down would aid ambient air flow because heat rises but I doubt it would make much difference one way or the other.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Fan pointing down, heat rises into the PSU's PCB. Pointing up and you're sucking hot air off the graphics cards... of course, if the fan is barely spinning, you're not sucking much air into the PSU. More like enough air to take the naturally aspirated heat and push it out the back. Personally, I do fan up.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, after puting back the HX, starting Red Orchestra 2, and bang, PC restarts like 10 minutes into the first match. The PSU is outside my case and dosent felt hot to the touch. So now I am afraid it may be something wrong with it besides the fan, and the dust alone in the filters dosent seem to be a causing factor.

So I put back my spare, played 2 hours straight the same game, no issues.

If the computer continues the good behaviour working with the replacement, I am considering trying to RMA it. The only thing that complicates it is the international shipping, wich probably will keep this PSU in travel from 4 weeks to who knows :)

Considering one PSU has an issue and another doesn't, safe to say the problem is the PSU. Though the problem may not be heat related at all.

Thanks for the tips guys.

So far, besides the minor hipcup of the replacement, its holding the PC together for pretty much a week. The replacement PSU dosent have 100% of my trust because it failed once.

I am considering this might be an issue also with the mobo, maybe a failing connection in some of the power plugs.

Archived