Corsair Community

C70 screw holes too small for be quiet fan

Msjoq

I bought a c70 case and some be quiet shadow wings fans and wanted to mount the fan. I tried it, but the holes were to small for the screwless mounting things.

Now I dont know what to do. Do you have any recommentions

By "screwless mounting things", are you referring to the pins themselves (I think they call them rivets)?

Edit: I found this review of the fan. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q64fyM_JpEA]this review of the fan[/ame] The review itself is a bit crappy but the reviewer does do a great job of showing how the fan gets mounted. Does this help you any?

I knew already how to mount it. The problem was that the holes in the case were too small to stick the mounting things through...

But thanks anyways for your help

Ok. I just wanted to make sure you were trying to insert the pin itself through the case hole and not trying to push the part mounted on the fan into the hole.

Plan B. If you are trying to push the pin through a rubber grommet and it is too snug, try putting a little soapy water on the pin and the grommet.

Plan C. Use the solid mounts on the fan and use the flat headed screws provided with the case to mount the fan through the rubber grommets on the case. The grommets will still provide some sound deadening.

Ok, forgive the dumb questions but I don't have access to an actual case so I have to ask them. Are you mounting the fans on the HDD cages or to the front of the case itself? If you are mounting them to the HDD cages, the holes in the cages appear to be threaded and probably are too small for the pins for the antivibration mounts. You would have to drill the threads out of the holes.

If you are trying to put the fans at the front of the case itself, those holes should be big enough so I would be a bit baffled at why you are having problems there unless those holes are also threaded. If they are threaded, then they would need to have the threads drilled out.

Please don't be insulted by this question but we do need to verify this. When trying to mount the fans, are you using the rubber mounts and are you trying to push the long skinny pins through the mounting holes in the case or cages before putting them in the fan?

@thenosbod I'm not at home so I can't do any pics right now

@Lady Fitzgerald they both have the same size of screw holes and both are too small.

But I now have mounted the be quiet fans at the top of the case where it worked and the stock fans at the front of the case. I gave up on it now and will just leave it as it is now.

Thank you for all the help!!!!

I did some more looking at pictures and it does appear the fan mounting holes on the HDD cages and the front of the case are threaded, which would make them too small for the pins. Your ability to mount the fans on the top pretty much verifies that. The only way you would be able to fit those fans on the front without drilling out the holes in the case or cages would be to use the solid mounts and substitute shorter versions of the screws normally used to mount the stock fans in those locations, probably 6-32s (it's kinda sorta tough to determine a screw size by eyeballing a picture). It may also be necessary to drill the fan mounts if the holes in them don't go through. Doing so, instead of drilling out the holes in the case or cages, would make installing and removing the fans easier. Otherwise, cages or HDDs would have to be removed when installing or removing fans.

I'll just leave it as it is: the stock fans at the front and the be quiet fans at the top were it was easy to mount em....

And I'm too lazy to drill the holes out for the little reward of changing the position of the fans.

So thank you but I'll just leave it as it is!

Archived