Corsair Community

Sleep & Standby Power

Breimeister

I have the AX860i Platinum power supply and I recently installed a Revodrive 350. Everything works fine except when I put the system to sleep it fails to wake up. It tries to wake up and after a bit of time it does a re-boot.

I have been told the problem may be with the standby power supplied by my power supply. I have searched the specifications and can't find anything on Standby Power. I'm not quite sure how to proceed, would a power supply that has more power provide more standby power?

• Corsair Employee
I have the AX860i Platinum power supply and I recently installed a Revodrive 350. Everything works fine except when I put the system to sleep it fails to wake up. It tries to wake up and after a bit of time it does a re-boot.

I have been told the problem may be with the standby power supplied by my power supply. I have searched the specifications and can't find anything on Standby Power.

That's because you were told wrong.

+5VSB is a power rail in an ATX PSU that supplies power even if the PC is "off" or in standby. Loads in standby are usually pretty low, so standby capability of most PSUs are also low. For the AX860i, the +5VSB capability is 3A, or 15W. This is called out on your PSU label, the box and Corsair's website. This is actually a little more than most PSUs, but even a PSU with only 2A on the +5VSB is adequate for 99% of the PCs out there.

Pin 4 of the PCIe slot does supply +5VSB, but you'll have to find out from OCZ if the Revodrive even uses it. And, if it does, it's only going to use it when the PC is asleep and the load is going to be well under idle power consumption (i.e. < 10W for the 960GB drive). What actual +5VSB consumption is, if any, will also need to be obtained from OCZ. It's not on their website.

Didn't have a problem w/o the Revodrive, correct?

Could be the motherboard... could be the drive. Power supply? Not likely.

Thanks for the information, I would not have figured out that +5Vsb refers to the standby power. Now I just need to figure out how much power my equipment needs when in standby.

You are correct, my system did not have a sleep problem without the Revodrive. I will try to find out how much standby power it requires from OCZ.

According to OCZ this Revodrive does not require any power when the system goes to sleep. They also have also tested the same motherboard that I have and cannot reproduce my problem so the problem is specific to my system. Tracking down what may be causing this problem on my system involves a lot of work, starting from scratch with minimum hardware which I am not prepared to do right now. The simplest solution right now is to not allow my system to go to sleep.

Thanks for the replies.

Archived