Corsair Community

CS450M loud click upon power on/off

endlesszeal

I just purchased a cs450m. I used a cool max psu tester and the pg signal was off and it beeped at me. I read up and ignored it since these cheap psu tools aren't too accurate. Anyway I noticed when I power on the system or turn it off, there is a loud click, the rear power switch is being flipped. I also researched and answer was it is normal too. Is this correct? I think someone said the transformer is making the loud click or tick. It only happens when I turn the system on or off. It's a pretty distinct switch flipping sound.

Intel i4770k

Asus z87i pro

2x2gb corsair dominator

Corsair h100i

Corsair CS450M

Bitfenix prodigy

Seagate 600 240gb ssd

How are you turning the computer off? Are you using the switch on the PSU or are you using the case-mounted switch that is connected to the motherboard?

You said, and I quote, "Anyway I noticed when I power on the system or turn it off, there is a loud click, the rear power switch is being flipped." Are you saying that there is a loud click like the rear power switch is being flipped? Or is the rear power switch actually toggling to a different position?

I am not sure, but I suspect that what you are hearing is a relay internal to the power supply operating with a mechanical click and please note that a transformer would not be making this sound.

If it is a relay in the PSU making this noise, there is nothing to worry about.

I meant to say it sounds like the rear switch is being flipped. I'm turning it on via power button.

Okay thanks for the confirmation that's it's the relay. I couldn't remember whet part was making the noise. Never had this sound before and I've built many systems over the past decade.

Archived