Corsair Community

Corsair AX760

fifo

• Corsair Employee

I have read 5 consecutive reviews abut the Fan being on 100% on the i version till windows is started. Thus i just wanted to confirm that this is the case thus the fan must be turned off by the Link Driver or something which windows boots.

5 consecutive reviews, where? The end user actually had an RPM meter to measure that the fan was at 100%? It sounds like a gross exaggeration.

Link doesn't need to tell the fan to turn on or off. In fact, you don't even need Link installed. The fan only turns on if the PSU is hot. The fan may spin initially at start up, but it's not 100% and it's only for a split second. The fan then slowly spins back down to zero.

Another thing i want to clarify is when you draw 45% load the fan does not turn on (OK) as it is only suppose to turn on the about 50 % load but as a result of this do you get a lot of heat from the psu being dissipated in your case,?

Or is the psu still cool at this load? This goes for the non i as well. Is the psu still cool <40 C before the fan turns on?

If your PC is loading the PSU at 50%, that PSU is certainly NOT going to be the hottest thing in your case. If anything, hot air from everything else is going to heat up the PSU and eventually turn the fan on.

Is the difference in voltage regulation and ripple suppression between the AX760 and the AX760i quite small, such the AX760 will be good enough anyway?

Yes. Quite small, so you should be fine either way. Seasonic is good, but Flextronics is just better in build quality, plus you have the reliability of the DSP.

Basically i am not going to fiddle with the link software so i'm not to bothered about that, but if the regulation and ripple is close to the non i Ax760 that its not going to make much difference to components then i might as well get the non i seasonic build.

Sorry, i should have given you a ink to the forum here is is.

This one has a statement from Mr Corsair George.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-26589.html?

I can't remember where i read those other 5 reviews i've got to search for them.

You know the AX760 is Seasonic XP2, Have corsair made any alterations to the seasonic design or just take the seasonic model and put a corsair label on it?

• Corsair Employee

I guess my PSU fan spins up to 100% and I don't even notice it (probably still isn't as loud as my GPU fans). I double checked with engineering and they did tell me that the fan kicks in full blast for a second (but not for the duration of Windows loading... unless Windows is loading REALLY fast!) when the PC is first turned on or comes out of sleep.

They say it's so the fan controller can calibrate the fan's profile.

And the Corsair AX760 is pretty much a straight up XP2 without modification.

Thanks for the response,

The reviews i read said the fans were on full blast for about 10 seconds.

http://www.ebuyer.com/410034-corsair-ax760i-80plus-platinum-high-performance-760w-power-supply-cp-9020036-uk

Anyway i have decided to go for the AX760 (seasonic unit)

as it has nice silent sans ace fan like the AX750 which you can bearly hear if you put your ear next to it below 1000 rpm and i don't intend to use the Link software. Also the AX760 in hybrid fan mode, the fan turns on at about 70 % load according to your tech specs below.

http://www.corsair.com/en/ax760-atx-power-supply-760-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu

On the AXi version the fan turns on at 20% load

http://www.corsair.com/en/ax760i-digital-atx-power-supply-760-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu

Why the difference?

Anyway thanks for your help, and sorry for the trouble.

Archived