Corsair Community

H110i gtx temperature issue

amitgedia

Hi, I have h110i gtx from past 6 months and never had this problem before, day before yesterday I cleaned my system and the components with a blower as I do it every 20-25 days. After the cleanup when I started my system the CPU temperatures rose to 70-80C as compared to 30-40 C and after about a while it rose to 95C and the system shut down and rebooted and gave CPU temperature high error so I gave the system a rest for an hour. After an hour I just started the system and checked all the components and fans, they were all working correctly, but still the temperatures was high in mid 80's. So I read some forums for solutions and changed the thermal solution, this thing worked for 2-3 hours when the temperature was in mid 30's, after that same problem temperature stays constant between 75-85 C.

Please help guys I don't want to fry my new CPU which is just 8 months old as my system is also newly built...

Which temperatures?

It would be far easier (possible?) to help you if you added your PC specs to your profile and posted a screen shot of the CL4 [Home] tab so we can see all the temperatures, fan and pump speeds so I adv1se you to do this. A CL4 screen shot similar to the one in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=866063 would be appropriate.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26130&d=1470645464

You seem to have a H100iGTX not the H110iGTX you specified. Is this a typo? I will assume so.

The H100iGTX pump speed is 1520 RPM when I would expect 1830 RPM assuming you have selected quiet mode. What happens when you select performance? It should be about 2900 RPM.

I assume the H100iGTX is connected to the CPU Fan header, is it?

This issue is sometimes caused by the CPU Fan header fan control not being disabled in the BIOS. Have you disabled it? Note a BIOS update may enable this.

Again, add your PC specs to your profile :asskick:

yes i am sorry its a typo error i have H100iGTX

this is the info at performance mode

001.thumb.jpg.acb96287827648dc5af3b19c5d05e80a.jpg

yes and the H100iGTX is connected to fan header

also i recently update the bios to ASUS 3301

also if u can help me check the option of [" CPU Fan header fan control not being disabled in the BIOS "] then it would be great

also when i changed the Thermal solution yesterday the previous one had become a bit watery and was spread on the entire cpu and the corsair component end as the temperature had reached 95C hope this info helps

also i have updated my system specs

Look in section 3.7 of the manual, top of page 3-44.

I don't have a RVE, but recall posts saying [PWM Mode] works better than [Disabled], so choose that. Note that when PWM node is used the +12 volts never changes.

Maybe you used too much thermal compound or failed to clean off the old stuff. You should use a blob about the size of a small pea.

i youtubed some videos and one video says that he will never connect the cooler fan header to MB but rather connect it directly to the PSU

if thats the case then will the MB not give CPU fan error when booting up

also when this problem occured i touched both the tube and found out that one was very hot and one was very cold, could this give us any hints for the problem.

also the cooler fan connector that connects to the motherboard is a 3 pin connector that fits the 4 pin connector on the MB so will the PWM mode work for it

also i found one blog saying this

"Technically it doesn't matter which header you plug the fans and pumps into. Any available fan connection will work.

HOWEVER........

Ideally the pump should connect to a case fan connection running a constant 12V. The pump is designed to run at 100% all of the time, it's not a variable speed pump. That's why it has a 3 pin connection and not a PWM connection.

Your fans should connect to the CPU leads since they are PWM fans. If you connect them to the case fan connections then they won't spool up as your CPU gets hotter. Putting the fans on the CPU connections allows the fans to run at low speed when CPU temps are low and speed up as CPU temps increase which improves your cooling power when you need it while running quiet when you don't."

sorry so many questions i am asking but i am on a verge of crying as i have a deadline and my computer is not working but i appreciate your help

i youtubed some videos and one video says that he will never connect the cooler fan header to MB but rather connect it directly to the PSU

This is someone who wasn't paying attention to their fan controls, had a motherboard malfunction, or some other calamity and the natural human reaction of "I'll never do that again" right after it happened. Usually necessity prevails and there is no reason not to connect the H100i to the motherboard. It will give you more warnings if something is wrong than if powered from a molex straight to the PSU.

He/She is also referring to a more traditional water cooling system where the pump has it own power lead and the fans connect to the board or fan controller, not the pump. In that situation you could power it from the PSU, but the fans would be CPU fan to prevent the boot error.

Unfortunately, you do have a problem and it is not as simple to fix as changing the power source for the H100i. Your idle water temperature (H100i Temp) is 48C. That is beyond what you should encounter at full load with your system. It is possible for extreme environmental conditions or large of amounts of GPU heat to cause this, but the rest of your data does not support that and the Quadra certainly isn't raising your case temps to 50C. It is most likely you have some sort of flow problem inside the cooler. A failing pump or blockage of some type are the most common reasons and neither of those are something you can fix. You are going to have to replace the unit. Follow this link to support page. You will need to create an account, explain the problem (be sure to upload the Link screen and mention the water temperature slowly rises and never comes down), and also upload the purchase invoice. The warranty period is 5 years, so no worries there. Do the advanced RMA option if you can to cut down on shipping time.

Ray is right. Your pump speed is a bit low. This could be a symptom of the problem (failing pump), but unfortunately that small loss in speed would not account for a +15-20C rise in water temp at idle. Regardless, it would be good to make sure your settings are correct.

There are a couple of different ways you make sure the H100i gets it full 12V.

1) E-Z BIOS launch page - Q-Fan controls (bottom) - select the CPU fan header. Select "Full Speed" - I prefer this option for anyone running AI Suite. It will lock out the controls for the pump so they are non-adjustable. In Q-Fan it is called Full Speed. In the Advanced BIOS (F7) - Monitor Tab (scroll way down) - CPU fan header - it will then show 'Disabled'.

2) Also: Q-Fan control - CPU Fan - Set the top tab to PWM and then manually drag the three dots up to the 100% line. It will get 12v regardless of the points, but no reason to have the system send fan control signals needlessly. This works perfectly fine for anyone not running AI Suite. As Ray mentioned, sometimes certain boards get finicky about detecting the cooler. This method may solve that issue for some people.

In PWM mode, a constant 12V is applied regardless of the fan level. This is different to a DC motor where speed is controlled by adjusting the voltage. We are not trying to control the pump or fans through the BIOS, only ensure it receives the 12V. The Link software and the pump's fan controller is the tool to make changes.

Make sure your BIOS is set with one of these methods. As Ray suggested, set the pump to performance mode. I would like to see if it properly changes speed. Are you running AI Suite?

"Your fans should connect to the CPU leads since they are PWM fans. If you connect them to the case fan connections then they won't spool up as your CPU gets hotter. Putting the fans on the CPU connections allows the fans to run at low speed when CPU temps are low and speed up as CPU temps increase which improves your cooling power when you need it while running quiet when you don't."

This is someone who had an older motherboard that does not have PWM fan headers all the way around the board. You do and we powering the fans from the pump block. This does not apply to you.

The product they are referring to is a H110 (Astek) Cooler. I have this cooler on one of my systems. It is not the same design as the cooler you have and is a non-Link system ("i"). Even among Corsair coolers, the proper way to power and control the device varies. In this case it is not the motherboard that dictates how the cooler should be installed, but the device design. It is possible to power and control the fans from the motherboard, but there is no reason to do so at this point and you need to start the support ticket.

Let us know if the pump speed changes after ensuring the BIOS is set for 12v to the H100i header and also your pump speed in "pump performance mode". I would like to know if the issue is pump related or blockage related. Most pumps start to make noise when the motor begins to fail.

ok thanks i will do the setting as you have suggested, but to let you know that after switching to performance profile the fan speed varies from 2100-2300 and they have started making some spinning noise and the temperatures are varying as of now from 48-58C

The fans are going to run at maximum all the time right now because you are well above the normal temperature range, even at idle. Your pump speed was bit low in the screen shot. We wanted to see if this was because of a BIOS setting or if it is related the flow problem inside the cooler. There is a separate drop down menu for pump speed control. I believe the choice is Quiet or Performance.

I missed it in the series. That appears to be normal speed. So either the BIOS settings were limiting the voltage before or the pump was struggling at lower speed. Regardless, that rise in water temperature is far too much for a small drop in pump speed. Looks like another partial blockage. This is something that will get worse, not better, so proceed with the RMA.

Archived