Corsair Community

DPC Latency Problem

Stinkfist

I've noticed a problem with HS1 USB headset.

When there is an audio stream in action (ex. from youtube, win media player, games, or anything else) they produce a lot of DPC latency.

I've measured the following data with thesycon DPC latency checker 1.30 under windows 7 x64

My system goes from 100 microseconds to 700 microseconds and in the moment between silence and audio plyback there are few peaks of over 7000 microseconds.

When I use my integrated realtek audio, the dpc latency is always around 100 microseconds and never change.

I hope this problem will be solved soon with new drivers becouse i think it is the cause of crackling and popping audio that sometimes (rarely) I hear from this headset, and when that happens, to get back to normal I can only restart the entire system.

There are also some games (like split second) that sometimes produce some dpc latency (only on ati card from what i've seen) and in conjuction with this headset produces a lot of video stuttering (this is the symptom that made me notice the problem)

I also hope that someone from corsair reply to this and let us knows theirs opinion.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Today i've done some tests and 'ive noticed that if i disable the dolby headphone the situation is quite good.

In this case the latncy is increased only of 70/80 microseconds (for a total of about 190 micoseconds), and there are no more extreme peak of 7000 microseconds.

So I think the problem is in dolby headphone, but this is the most important function of this headset.

I hope a fix is coming soon.

EDIT:

I've added two attachements.

one shows the dpc latency when I'm on youtube, the red spikes correspond to begin of a video, the small bar (under 500) are when youtube is closed, the green bar over 500 are when a video is streaming.

The other shows few seconds of video streaming on youtube cptured with xperf. the moment of video streaming is evident in dpc cpu usage.

Please tell me if something isn't clear, I know that my english isn't so good.

dpc.thumb.png.49c631c13b41df69abe56652628261d2.png

xperf.thumb.png.2455d48a78eab3eb9ac0c8c1dbcfdfc5.png

• Corsair Employee
It sounds like there could be a priority issue between applications, the OS audio processing or other audio drivers. I would see if you can disable some of your start up applications/drivers one at a time and see if you can pin point which one might be interfering with the HS1 driver. Also, are you able to test the HS1 in a different system, to see if the problems follow the HS1 or stay with the original system?

I've also tested on acer apire 5920g notebook with win 7 64bit.

Here the situation is tragic, the latency is near 2000 microsends with peak of 10000.

On my original system I also tried to disable all the unnecessary in bios (integrated audio, firewire, lan, jmicron, addition intel technology like ht etc.)

I also closed all unnecessary programs and stopped all unnecessary sevices, and disabled additional hardware in control pannel, but nothing has changend.

I don't know if it's related to popping and cracling sound that sometimes I hear, but I think it's very probable, I hope corsair investigate on this (since also other user have the same problem).

Note that the problem is present only when dolby headphone is enabled, so the problem may come from dolby.

Unfortunately I don't think i can test on different os, so I don't know if it's os related.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Having the same issues; Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R board, Win 7 x64. I've used LatencyMon to track the cause, and your C-Media USB driver is consistently the culprit - I've seen it generating DPC execution runtimes as high as 30 ms (yes, 30,000 microseconds), which renders the headset un-useable due to the popping and crackling (note this is for gaming, the popping and crackling kicks off randomly).

Are you guys close to releasing a new driver yet? To say this is frustrating is an understatement: I bought the HS1 because I’ve always found Corsair products to be excellent - the headset is great, but with crummy drivers, useless for what I bought it for…

Me, and other users of the forum, solved the problem by installing an additional Pci usb exspansion card to bypass the motherboard (evidently this headset isn't compatible with all motherboard under win 7 x64).

Personally i'm using an usb 3.0 card, this don't fix the dpc latency, but the crackling and popping disappear.

I know that it isn't a nice solution, but I don't think that corsair have intention to fix this.

However an usb 2.0 card cost only few dollars.

If you search in the various hs1 crackling threads on the forum you should find the exact model of the usb 2.0 card that another user is using

• Corsair Employee

Actually we are looking into this issue but I do not have any updates.

We first need to identify the cause then we can try for solution, it seems that some configurations may display this symptom but its random we have not found one configuration that will consistently reproduce the error, but we are working to try and find a solution.

Archived