Corsair Community

Corsair Link GUI Crashing Randomly

GO302LX

I am running a Hydro H100i GTX with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OS {Rig was completed in March of this year, Reinstalls of C-Link exceed 6 times to date}.

After hours of reading the most current comments/suggestions I could find in multiple Corsair forum topics, concerning the problems involved with C-Link monitoring software. I am curious as to how stable this sofware is, outside a "controlled" enviroment?

After installation of C-Link, I get about 3 to 4 successful boot ups of my system before the GUI crashes (mostly when trying to access it after system has loaded). When this scenario happens two problems accure. #1 I am unable to use GUI until a complete uninstall/reinstall of program and drivers. #2 Once windows requires to end crashed program, the cooler fans run "Wide-Open" with absolutely no control, complete system shutdown is required to kill fan speed. If C-Link is not disable/deleted from task scheduler before next reboot, the 2 scenarios are repeated.

C-Link software I am working with is: CorsairLink_Installer_RC_v3.1.5570_signed.exe (I believe this is the most current software as of June 2015?)

The "Default" installation criteria of this device & Software on my system:

Program Directory is C:\Program Files(x86)\Corsair

Device Manager entry shows Corsair Hydro Series 7289 USB Device under Universal Serial Bus Controllers with hardware id:

USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C03&REV_0100

USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C03

I have read that C-Link function requires proper windows recognition of hardware? If so, how do you force any version of Windows to recognize hardware differently, with reliable success?

Windows "Programs and Features" show 3 entries, Corsair Hydro Series 7289 USB Device (Driver Removal), Corsair Link, and Corsair USB Dongle (Driver Removal).

Note: No other Corsair entries exist in Device manager for this product. Or should there be?

Not sure why USB Dongle is not showing in Device Manager?

I did notice drivers SiLib.sys and SiUSBXp.sys are not digitally signed.

The entry in "Task Scheduler", when viewing properties (General/Tab), shows task is configured by default, for Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008. Not Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2?

In reading, some have said they tweaked the .xml file created when generating a profile(A.K.A. saving), evidently certain entries were generating errors in

.net framework, e.g.stackoverflow errors.

The profile .xml file that is generated on my system is unlike any .xml file I have seen and I doubt having the possibility to "Tweak". please see a small portion of actual content of file.

Contents of .xml file generated in profile directory:

m9T$ugU=P>Q&O%ZT<rP`L^^b);S-p)4)'+ZB=C)dP6"8%k,p>>,f`KS&$m?d5=;(0@.>F<Z7_pY

gMeWT-71@.\JE#8o`8iV#Z&IXiHY"[O4Wi`IiRFB='p]7dI\MN2m_3)lX"KJhrpc&*[b^"ipg\?

;=X!t4LsklKNJbAhIWQ3'1Ip7Dq%0&`uj3(hs`[rJ&hNdrUE%Q5)"?uI!C./J$#&sVDC)eFnM.e

*rOi&(/Ms!EB61Aa$]V]m:"MVe<<Q8Z9Qhi)io;8rUA'>E2l-8Z$r<>B;I0?aBVt^IqWn[9qS.I

fgq01AZo`RDb]92q1k^/buE$]Dl2]AB.)`UGZ*C_C8$Tie!V6us.#(3nbr+TK2+15^/)FkdjLZ@

4h*2Bn+m<m^OtjYiqa(d08f''\A!pZoJ)Tg+to:TJr@9h<gD!gnjQP:TC8$hoY^,F'D!_SK;f?-

73Od_N:1YDr1e)tO/(Ch:*90*i=B(c$U%bZ09m%#;'5*'qG5KOp6L'u_fr#,9PI0sbe-@.a@i@k

?:#q3iZpiF`sO+tL-=!?HoM"*2U.tIm[([_ot2c%YL=AFOT,f?<5\!(EH;d1U$V.2QWGQpnN]lV

]iCi3#@1$DnLR>JQ<ep6m:&?\l[u1JctP\@=%*!Na_$mG8bj6De;"C+SYFiF%okN4P9c@B&&'po

3k:c[RBBLmYA1*Ipk&oa0>FPg@p2*q08g#_5[?:JeX;#g]=8fnc0AY6<LC3f4\Ba/(9NLp]R=Bk

3N]b+(!q,F2`&@]p'9b<VY+\e?!lp>qsR<rT<;7Mk(!93&Sh7WU&A>m8qMM*eGh]OB)24l?\dbE

/8D6OYZ1Y5Rbb'*T1X[4HD&!hVj8jWONn)P5Q'bH`S'T.=FfZl4?!If2!`1A8UZ>HVpd'bJqTVu

'aN/c(uka_6r:k>?J.?O]SiqOQ0Ven+"OP4X77e>EVL97Xe5/CWb>/mL,(aBj7t:O$2Kc8/C0C;

OTtKEG"B;qJ+kQMVU:1Ar7]ZNhL)lmbqD+DB-X=bRd'*K`i*MBkP$%b26XYI6@>>mgQ,\@;h+b4

)VjSLdckS2NNU+mr=o37a0RSqqkqWHhd,**h5^?+1JVh"_d6XYXnaok9n3"Krnbbp;kq,*o(u4t

IJWT,MLRG>r&3#VV"t^EPWuY^TBO2M.K;Z:c2G'bM]VOao5B@U-eZ_n,+K:j9J^:"?/B=eF:ugA

6#JhA1VjqNVt0uu>^Kku3kWdf^WVcj4m_g4&`hRh"+TuCa-NMGY"<8ba;$V)`q_S5brU^$>S@R*

82_@BB+t6HP8PO`N""7O`tPAh1T'6N39asDbcKU_:'kLu#eXZ6kI?FTe//eWe6o)^&r^oFbh*Fu

S.^c]K$d>F)=,,o&r]nDYtflggVJ98";@&.]TZ`245>-kF5u5'&W@UfiB(U5Qn]Ym0AOr+11NJ'

;tcg1\R_8t+uAA6\g85d9@h3=1>fXi.-?\8ZA]2WN*FV%c6_de)S**qd]$m!(D`g1D</]g@-!Ve

i..cJ[=L%+_bRLg$f[ic]FsVkr'MjZN"P$/4Z6e=ZK_22+5X$F#qT>A#G!+K@)XO$qK>D!YU;4a

bGMTsSot^l2\lS/,arW[ap7V$ijR;dkCYc<DG>&`YpXNG+?p;sibP0sp=P<m3R:0#f+!*-24jW<

8!C&VgJ00k(7K0Obe'>Tk1_<7NbMWQeK9u+Bt-B0FuCFWY:!i@7*p1'5Ptm:j1CH$^kPVrKXlkc

%uVt!^W,h%il@DoT9?uWm.HOXhu6>YYLmN?*SYu*ô>q;\UQYPJQP[1@p<GLP5iBI57"j,@/]

d6r"F]iJApdG33Q'c0RqG84o472+!qX]f_lj;6*6X^&:89Z6`>;8$4M,l'2g]j,?Kq,0Yp>\dk1

gom&[NBE!?ol@1^YDHVN(VB=Mo*5*lM&t2jlAKE0&iJ+&VR.m>AMK]Wrg`,i&Dhm-8u1`i0JiAu

b3QeAEiVZdq**FT/K3bOH&)"'iGJVpmP8's/2-J$(CG^7g#jn@UZNrVLTHcYEeC.n!U8d:N6>5[

Any feedback will be appreciated.

I found CL so unreliable that I stopped using it and implemented my own CL control software. I do not have either a H100iGTX or H80iGT, but from reading others posts I get the impression there are more issues with these than the H110iGT, H100i and H80i.

If the driver .CAT file is digitally signed then the .SYS files don't need to be. Given that on Windows x64 drivers cannot be loaded unless they are digitally signed the .CAT file must be signed.

I assume the .XML file is encrypted and I feel it should not be. I also noticed similar in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Corsair\CorsairLINK.

Are you running any of ASUS's software, like AI Suite?

Yet again I am going to ask what is the URL that specifies which programs can be safely used at the same time as CL and which ones cause issues.

I am 99% sure you will fail to provide this information, but maybe one day Corsair will.

Maybe Corsair could use the information in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037 to get started on providing this. At the moment I suspect it's almost impossible for many users to know what should work and what will cause issues.

I had a strange problem a few days ago, after a bootable Windows 7 usb 7289 driver was not recognized... I uninstalled everything that has to do with Corsair Link, but after EVERY new facility, to reboot the syteme to recognize the usb driver 7289, I got a BSOD, then send me a windows error message for a non-digitally signed driver, impossible to reinstall corsair link, I went crazy... after several attempts, still nothing after every start I always had a BSOD... Finally after an uninstall in safe mode and an installation in safe mode, the driver 7289 was finally recognized...

What is the crash analysis when look at the dump file that is in C:\Windows\Minidump? You need to use WINDBG (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff551063%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) and set the symbol path as srv*C:\Windows\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXEPTION

Win32k.sys

Ntoskrnl.exe

But now work fine for the time being.

analyse-v said Win32k.sys, Ntoskrnl.exe but no reference to 7289 usb drivers, Yet the problem was related with Corsair link. Windows 7 did not want to recognize this driver installation, error message for a non-digitally signed driver. I even tried with the following command to disable the driver signature verification function bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON but without success. I managed to reinstall only in safe mode

It should have offered to do !analyze -v, you need to do this. The output from doing this will tell you the actual cause

analyse-v said Win32k.sys, Ntoskrnl.exe but no reference to 7289 usb drivers, Yet the problem was related with Corsair link. Windows 7 did not want to recognize this driver installation, error message for a non-digitally signed driver. I even tried with the following command to disable the driver signature verification function bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON but without success. I managed to reinstall only in safe mode

You needed to do an F8 boot and disable Driver Signature Verification.

Unless you post the exact text from WINDBG I cannot comment.

I have uploaded screen shots of results? Not sure if WINDBG is set up correctly?

Yes, it all looks OK, but post the WINDBG text rather than the screen shots (Edit->Copy Window Text to Clipboard).

The issue is caused by C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afwvcore.sys. Look at the properties to see what it is and where it comes from. Same for klwfp.sys.

Looking at https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=klwfp.sys+bsod I see you have Kaspersky. I have seen several BSOD crash dumps that were caused by old releases of it.

Thank you. The text is far easier to read and I can copy/paste as I need to. When I read your initial post I did not realise you were getting BSODs. I would have put BSOD in it.

What version of Kaspersky do you have? Is there a later release, if so update to it and see if the issue goes away. If not uninstall Kaspersky and see if that resolves things.

I have just found https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=afwcore.sys+bullguard so you have two anti-virus packages installed :eek:. Using more then one is asking for trouble :[pouts: I recommend only using one :cool:

I suspect your issue is nothing to do with Corsair/CL. Every few months I get an email saying my SIV utility causes a BSOD and many of these too are actually caused by Kaspersky.

C-Link dead once again. I am posting the 4 events that take place when GUI crashes:

----------------------------------------------------

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 6/20/2015 2:37:05 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: SCREAMER

Description:

Faulting application name: CorsairLink.exe, version: 3.1.5570.29367, time stamp: 0x551ddc6f

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18847, time stamp: 0x554d7bd0

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x0000c42d

Faulting process id: 0x7a8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0ab880951b5d4

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Link\CorsairLink.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 58c7e921-177b-11e5-a702-0862662ccebc

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-06-20T18:37:05.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>15391</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>SCREAMER</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>CorsairLink.exe</Data>

<Data>3.1.5570.29367</Data>

<Data>551ddc6f</Data>

<Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>6.1.7601.18847</Data>

<Data>554d7bd0</Data>

<Data>e0434352</Data>

<Data>0000c42d</Data>

<Data>7a8</Data>

<Data>01d0ab880951b5d4</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Link\CorsairLink.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>58c7e921-177b-11e5-a702-0862662ccebc</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Corsair Link

Date: 6/20/2015 2:37:05 PM

Event ID: 0

Task Category: None

Description:

System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an unsigned byte.

at System.Convert.ToByte(String value, Int32 fromBase)

at CorsairLink.PlugIns.CCVI.CovertDecToByte(Decimal dec)

at CorsairLink.PlugIns.CCVI.UpdateLed(Device led, Boolean frontEndUpdate)

at CorsairLink.DeviceHandler.UpdateDevices(Interval interval, List`1 devices)

Event Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name="Corsair Link" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-06-20T18:37:05.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>15390</EventRecordID>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an unsigned byte.

at CorsairLink.DeviceHandler.UpdateDevices(Interval interval, List`1 devices)</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: .NET Runtime

Date: 6/20/2015 2:37:04 PM

Event ID: 1026

Description:

Application: CorsairLink.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.OverflowException

Stack:

Server stack trace:

at CorsairLink.DeviceHandler.PluginFrontendEvent(EventArgs e)

at CorsairLink.PlugInHandler.plugin_FrontendEvent(EventArgs e)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.MessageData ByRef, Int32)

at CorsairLink.PlugInHandler.plugin_FrontendEvent(EventArgs)

at CorsairLink.FrontendPlugIn.RaiseFrontendEvent(EventArgs)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Legacy.OnUpdate(CorsairLink.Model)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.DoUpdate(CorsairLink.Model)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.read_data(System.IO.MemoryMappedFiles.MemoryMappedViewStream)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.read_message_thread(Boolean, Int32)

at CorsairLink.Ui.MessageServer.<.ctor>b__2()

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Event Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-06-20T18:37:04.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>15389</EventRecordID>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Application: CorsairLink.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.OverflowException

Stack:

Server stack trace:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.MessageData ByRef, Int32)

at CorsairLink.PlugInHandler.plugin_FrontendEvent(EventArgs)

at CorsairLink.FrontendPlugIn.RaiseFrontendEvent(EventArgs)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Legacy.OnUpdate(CorsairLink.Model)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.DoUpdate(CorsairLink.Model)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.read_data(System.IO.MemoryMappedFiles.MemoryMappedViewStream)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.read_message_thread(Boolean, Int32)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Corsair Link

Date: 6/20/2015 2:37:04 PM

Event ID: 0

Description:

System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an unsigned byte.

Server stack trace:

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at CorsairLink.FrontendPlugIn.RaiseFrontendEvent(EventArgs e)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Legacy.OnUpdate(Model model)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.DoUpdate(Model model)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.read_data(MemoryMappedViewStream reader)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.read_message_thread(Boolean is_service, Int32 delay_time)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

Event Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name="Corsair Link" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-06-20T18:37:04.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>15388</EventRecordID>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an unsigned byte.

Server stack trace:

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at CorsairLink.FrontendPlugIn.RaiseFrontendEvent(EventArgs e)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Legacy.OnUpdate(Model model)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.DoUpdate(Model model)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.read_data(MemoryMappedViewStream reader)

at CorsairLink.Ui.Message.read_message_thread(Boolean is_service, Int32 delay_time)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would delete the .DMP file.

CL really should be better.

Given you used WINDBG with no issues I would recommend trying my SIV utility, but it does not support your H100iGTX. It's a shame you don't have a H110iGT or H100i.

red-ray

You know, after all of this. I have realized a common thread that has caused the GUI on my system to crash time after time.... and that is "Grouping" the modules within the program. This last crash I removed modules from the group before shutting program down. Rebooted and it started and is running without a problem???? Not a fix, I know. Just a crippled work around.

If you ever decide to update your SIV utility to support H100iGTX, I will be using it.

Archived