Corsair Community

Corsair SP120 (Static Pressure) Whirring/Whining Noise with H60 Cooler

Burke888

Hello everyone,

I recently just installed two Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Fans to my H60 CPU Cooler. I am a big Corsair fan and these are some great looking fans. I have them setup in a push/pull configuration. However, I think the first fan may be generating too much air flow for the 2nd fan to handle. I believe that the fan may be reving up the 2nd fan with it's airflow causing a high pitched and very annoying whining sound.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as what to do to help eliminate this?

Thank you for the suggestions!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd283/Burke888/IMG_1549.jpg

I doubt what you described is the problem. I've done push-pull on H60's with identical fans, different fans, and fans running as different speeds, and never had a whining noise like you described.

How are you controlling the speeds of those fans? Does the whining sound happen all the time, at any RPM? Does it change with the speed of the fans, as in get louder or softer?

How are they connected?

Have you tried removing one and comparing CPU temperatures to the previous setup?

I've had my H60 with CM Excalibur push/pull fans for the last 2.5yrs and they are on a Y-splitter.

I'm using them as rear exhaust intead of intake as you have - and my whole system is loud, but it's just airflow - not whining noises.

My i7-920 @ 3.8 idles at 37 to 43deg (ambient is 30deg) and during Prime95 it reaches 72C.

My case is much more crowded than yours - I'm replacing it and getting all new fans myself in the near future.

Right now I can't OC my GPUs because they get too hot!

How are you controlling the speeds of those fans? Does the whining sound happen all the time, at any RPM? Does it change with the speed of the fans, as in get louder or softer?

I am not controlling the speed of the fans. I have them connected to the motherboard. The sounds happens all of the time.

When I remove one fan from the radiator, but still leave it running the noise goes away. When I place it back on the radiator it beings to loudly hum constantly.

I have two Noctua's set up in push/pull on my H60. The one in between the case and radiator will make a high pitched noise when at high RPMs.

It's set up just like yours as intake.

Same result when I switch the fans, the inside one always makes a high whirring noise at about 1000rpm while the outside one does not.

I can only assume it has to do with the fan's position in my case, or air getting "caught" between the fan and radiator. These things are renowned for their silence, and the one fan not sandwiched is absolutely silent at its max speed.

My CPU temps stay pretty low even at load, so the Noctuas rarely go above 900 RPM. It's at boot up you can really hear them.

I just took off one of the fans and the remaining fan still generates a loud whining sound.

I previously had two Cougar fans on there and they were really quiet. Does anyone actually have two Corsair fans?

i have 2 on my h80 and are virtually quiet up to 1600 rpm,after that the noise increases according to rpm

2800 sounds like an airplane

call me crazy but i think its neat

i have 2 on my h80 and are virtually quiet up to 1600 rpm,after that the noise increases according to rpm

2800 sounds like an airplane

call me crazy but i think its neat

How do you control the fan RPM? I have them connected to my motherboard and they are running at full speed constantly and it's very annoying.

How do you control the fan RPM? I have them connected to my motherboard and they are running at full speed constantly and it's very annoying.

i have an asus m/b and was using aisuite to control them via m/b control till i got the link commander which is much better

I just took off one of the fans and the remaining fan still generates a loud whining sound.

I previously had two Cougar fans on there and they were really quiet. Does anyone actually have two Corsair fans?

It sounds like you are describing fan noise, or if only one of the fans you use does this, then it might be defective. If those fans are running at full speed, at over 2000 RPM according the their spec, they are sure to make some noise.

Standard PC case fans run at a much lower max speed, and are much quieter. I've used the Cougar fans, but they only run up to 1500 RPM. Once above that speed, any fan starts making more noise. They also can't move as much air as the Corsair fans you use, simply because of the speed difference.

You didn't add your system specs, so we don't know what mother board you are using. Most boards have at least some kind of fan speed control software which you can set up. Some board fan headers will allow control, others may not.

I prefer four pin PWM fans as used with some CPU coolers, since they change speed automatically when used with four pin fan headers and a boards fan control software or BIOS settings. Video cards usually use that type of fan. Your video cards have fan speed control of some kind, don't they?

You can also get an add on manual fan speed controller.

It sounds like you are describing fan noise, or if only one of the fans you use does this, then it might be defective. If those fans are running at full speed, at over 2000 RPM according the their spec, they are sure to make some noise.

Standard PC case fans run at a much lower max speed, and are much quieter. I've used the Cougar fans, but they only run up to 1500 RPM. Once above that speed, any fan starts making more noise. They also can't move as much air as the Corsair fans you use, simply because of the speed difference.

You didn't add your system specs, so we don't know what mother board you are using. Most boards have at least some kind of fan speed control software which you can set up. Some board fan headers will allow control, others may not.

I prefer four pin PWM fans as used with some CPU coolers, since they change speed automatically when used with four pin fan headers and a boards fan control software or BIOS settings. Video cards usually use that type of fan. Your video cards have fan speed control of some kind, don't they?

You can also get an add on manual fan speed controller.

Okay this actually makes perfect sense. I think for some reason my motherboard is causing the fans to run at full speed. I have an EVGA Z68 SLI board. I have the H60 cooler hooked up to the 4 pin "CPU Cooler" on the motherboard and then I have the fans hooked up to the 3 pin SYS Fan

Does the BIOS distinguish between these two different headers? My other case fans are just hooked up straight to my PSU.

• Corsair Employee
I would agree it sounds like one of the fans is bad or making noise, with the system cool and running stable unplug both fans, and let them stop to be sure its not the pump that is creating the noise. then connect one fan and let it stabilize in RPM then disconnect that fan and connect the other. You should be able to tell what is causing the sound with these steps.

Okay this actually makes perfect sense. I think for some reason my motherboard is causing the fans to run at full speed. I have an EVGA Z68 SLI board. I have the H60 cooler hooked up to the 4 pin "CPU Cooler" on the motherboard and then I have the fans hooked up to the 3 pin SYS Fan

Does the BIOS distinguish between these two different headers? My other case fans are just hooked up straight to my PSU.

It depends on your particular board which fan headers have speed control or not, and how you can adjust them. Your boards manual will describe the function of each of its fan headers. I would expect any current board to allow fan configuration in its UEFI/BIOS. To what extent varies between manufactures.

After that, you should install your boards fan control software, or configure it in the UEFI/BIOS. Using the software is the best option, since you don't need to reboot just to change a setting, and the software usually lets you change the speeds in real time, and monitor the fan speeds.

Sometimes the fan speed settings in the BIOS will override the software's settings when you reboot or restart the PC, if they are set differently. If your settings in the software don't seem to work all the time, that is probably the reason.

Okay. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why should he just plug the fans into the pump and let it control the fan speed based on the actual CPU temperature. Are these new SP120 fans too much of a draw on the cooler or something?

Okay. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why should he just plug the fans into the pump and let it control the fan speed based on the actual CPU temperature. Are these new SP120 fans too much of a draw on the cooler or something?

The cooler won't control the SP fans; they'll just run at maximum RPM all of the time.

It depends on your particular board which fan headers have speed control or not, and how you can adjust them. Your boards manual will describe the function of each of its fan headers. I would expect any current board to allow fan configuration in its UEFI/BIOS. To what extent varies between manufactures.

My motherboard will not control my SP120 fans, I just checked (they're plugged into my CPU_FAN header). They run within a narrow speed range regardless of thermals. Just noting since the SP120 fans are not PWM.

Archived