Corsair Community

Another H100i Platium RGB hits the dust

Kalgarus

So i'd hate to do this but i have yet to figure anything out. I purchased a Corsair H100I RGB Platium in november wanting to upgrade from my 20$ cpu fan. So i installed it just as stated in many youtube videos, and i just cant get this thing to work. I've tried every CPU/fan/pump header slot for the tach 1pin cord on my z370 Aorus Gaming 5 Mobo, as well as every internal and external usb slot on my pc even trying to use the comander pro i have but the cooler just would not be reconized by ICUE or LINK.The cooler just lights up red, the fans spin with no lighting:mad:

So i sent it back at my own expense to the store i bought it from(another 50$ shipping) and about a month later i got my new one. Again i prep'd for install, this time i kept my old cpu cooler in the pc just incase i had the same issue. AGAIN no cooler reconized. I looks all of the forums trying diffrent fixes, looking in my device manager(doesn't show up) Updating Corsair ICUE,uninstalling every controller on my pc but ICUE, again tried every usb/header on my mobo. Still none of this worked. The cooler lights up red on boot fans spin without illumination and ICUE only detects my RAM and Comander Pro. I really dont know what to do here, the thing already cost me 140$ CA plus 45$ shipping, then 2 more lots of shipping sending the 1st one out to get a replacement. All this just to tear down my pc again and have it not work. So im here to try again and hopefully get this working so its not just a 300$ bad investment. Open to any ideas, i build my own rigs for the past 12 years, so i should be-able to do anything needed. Feel free to save me with a fix below:laughing:

This sounds like an installation issue, not a cooler issue.

Typically, we see this kind of behavior when the power isn't properly supplied.

First, are you using the cables that came with your PSU? Do you have any adapters or splitters in the mix? Have you tried using a different SATA connector to your PSU? The Platinum coolers require all 3 of the rails available for SATA (3.3V, 5V and 12V) so things like adapters or splitters can cause trouble.

This sounds like an installation issue, not a cooler issue.

Typically, we see this kind of behavior when the power isn't properly supplied.

First, are you using the cables that came with your PSU? Do you have any adapters or splitters in the mix? Have you tried using a different SATA connector to your PSU? The Platinum coolers require all 3 of the rails available for SATA (3.3V, 5V and 12V) so things like adapters or splitters can cause trouble.

using orginal sata connectors that came with my EVGA 1000w supernova PSU and runing only the cooler on the line. also tried my old corsair CM650 same issue.

Going to try again tomorrow with another PSU on the bench with the pump out of the pc just connected via usb to the mobo. Really dont think its a power issue because the 1st one i did all these power test and the cooler did the same thing, installed my cpu reached 96'c. I wont install this one due to i think this one will do the same, feels like the pump doesnt even come on. how subtle should the vibrations be?

Going to try again tomorrow with another PSU on the bench with the pump out of the pc just connected via usb to the mobo. Really dont think its a power issue because the 1st one i did all these power test and the cooler did the same thing, installed my cpu reached 96'c. I wont install this one due to i think this one will do the same, feels like the pump doesnt even come on. how subtle should the vibrations be?

They are pretty subtle. But you should feel it.

You can connect the cooler via a standard micro USB to USB-A cable for testing as well.

Interesting that you mention the CPU high temp. That is exactly what happened to me as well to the point where the pump head spit out magic smoke. That's the main reason I returned mine and got another, even though the RGB didn't work on the fans or pump head either.

For the second cooler, I was just troubleshooting it without installing it one the CPU - I placed the wraith cooler on it instead. Still not RGB.

It's very strange and I can only assume they have a bad manufacturing lot or some other sinister, yet prevalent problem. They are sending me two more ML120 fans and we'll see what happens with those. If the RGB is working, I will then install the cooler and see if it is keeping the temps where they should be.