Corsair Community

H100i PRO RGB - Two dead units?

Sedwert

I recently bought the H100i PRO RGB to go with my new build. When I boot up the computer, the LED on the block flashes red and it seems the pump isn't functioning. I have checked every connection, including swapping SATA cables and different peripheral ports on my CX750M psu.

When I boot into the bios of my MSI X570-A Pro, the pump speed is reading 0rpm and the temperature of the CPU starts to rise way above 90 degrees C causing temperature warnings. I have the latest bios from MSI as well. It is also worth mentioning the fans on the radiator are on and working, and the single 3pin cable is connected to the CPU_FAN header as per instructions.

I then went and installed the stock wraith cooler that comes with the ryzen, and it works fine so I know it's not an issue on the motherboard.

Right now I have the H100i still connected via the PUMP_FAN so I can do troubleshooting without worrying about overheating. I checked in the iCUE software and it is detecting my cooler, however the fans and pump read 0RPM, and changing the performance options to EXTREME makes no difference. (Also the fans are just running at a constant speed, but iCUE says they're at 0rpm and I can't change their performance settings.)

At this point I determined the pump was faulty so I exchanged it through amazon. Received the new pump and the EXACT SAME THING IS HAPPENING. I even went through EVERYTHING I said above a second time with the new unit and nothing.

Did I get sent 2 dead units in a row? Because I can't possibly think of any other reason the pump isn't working out of box

Two dead units would be unlikely. Are you sure you have the correct cables for power?

And it won't matter what fan port you plug the cooler in to - it only reports a tach signal. There's no control or power. Just FYI.

I'm pretty sure I am. I'm using the sata power cables that came with my corsair power supply, as well as trying a few extras I have kicking around. (It's plugged in to the sata/peripheral ports on the power supply.)

I have an ssd plugged into the same sata cable as well and it's getting power fine. I also tried unplugging the ssd and only leaving the cooler plugged in and it was still flashing red/no pump action

Where do those "few extras" come from?

Using different cables is a pretty quick way for bad things to happen. Futhermore, just because the SATA drive works doesn't mean it's correct - SATA has 3 rails (12V, 5V and 3.3V). Most devices only use one so if the "extra" cables have those right, they'll work ... even if the 5V and/or 3.3V are reversed with ground. Or switched. The coolers use all 3 rails.

You wouldn't happen to have a PSU tester to ensure that the proper rails are getting power would you?

Where do those "few extras" come from?

Using different cables is a pretty quick way for bad things to happen. Futhermore, just because the SATA drive works doesn't mean it's correct - SATA has 3 rails (12V, 5V and 3.3V). Most devices only use one so if the "extra" cables have those right, they'll work ... even if the 5V and/or 3.3V are reversed with ground. Or switched. The coolers use all 3 rails.

You wouldn't happen to have a PSU tester to ensure that the proper rails are getting power would you?

The few extras came from my friends thermaltake modular power supply. I don't have a psu tester, but I think I might try a different power supply. 750 watts should be enough for my setup, right?

750 watts is enough.

Do not for any reason or under any circumstance use ThermalTake cables with a Corsair PSU.

I ended up borrowing a sata cable from my brother who has a corsair psu as well. Turns out it was indeed a wrong manufacturer cable I had plugged in.

I actually had no idea that psu cables didn't have an industry standard. Looks like I got some cables mixed up in my parts box that I will have to sort thru lol..

Thanks for your help! Guess I learned something today lol

I ended up borrowing a sata cable from my brother who has a corsair psu as well. Turns out it was indeed a wrong manufacturer cable I had plugged in.

I actually had no idea that psu cables didn't have an industry standard. Looks like I got some cables mixed up in my parts box that I will have to sort thru lol..

Thanks for your help! Guess I learned something today lol

Well, I'm really glad that's all sorted. I will say that you got very, very, very, very lucky. We've seen users here on the forum with things melted and/or catch fire from using the wrong cables.

The standards for PSU cables are on the connectors to devices. There is no standard for how the cables connect to the PSU itself. Even different PSUs from the same vendor may have different pinouts on the PSU side. I've had two PSUs from the same vendor (not Corsair) and same product line but different wattages (one was 1000W, one was 850W) have different connections.

If you need extra cables, Corsair does list which cables work with what PSUs and it's easy to find them on Corsair.com.

• 3 months later...
hey dear friend. I have h100i rgb pro after update firmware . my aıo make pump noise. ın quıte mode little balance mode little more and extreme mode it make sound. I have now 1.0.4 can you sent me old firmware 1.0.3. maybe I can fix it