Corsair Community

Force GS 128Gb Many Problems

So.. I bought a 128GB version as a replacement for my 40GB SSD... I updated firmware to latest version, and started the clone software from the toolbox. I had multiple freezes and was unable to complete the clone.

I decided to do a complete clean build, but was only able to get 20-30% of the way through Extracting windows files, before the SSD disappeared from the system, and the computer BSD'd.

I have had to cold boot, (completely remove power for 20 secs) before the drive is once again seen in the BIOS.

It looks like I am not alone..

How can Corsair ship these drives, knowing these problems exist?.

Is there a remedy? :mad:

by any chance are you using the mortherboard in your specs? Maybe the drive works fine on sata 3 ports and not sata 2 so nicely. (I just picked up four of the same drive but have the latest motherboard so 4/4 working fine. seem like there quality control is really good.)

From what you say you have to cold boot might have gotten a bad drive. I know that I had an old F60 go on me and would should in bios but not windows install. then after a few more trys just stopped showing in bios.

First two things I would check would be MEMtest see if there is any errors

every sata port with few different cable. (cable might be bad always worth a shot slim chance it will fix the problem but you never know.)

Is the install working in IDE mode raid or ACHI mode. fail install on all three settings.?

Nvidia based motherboards are notoriously bad with SSDs, especially newer/faster SSDs. These boards do not properly support AHCI and have poor driver support since they have been EOL for so many years. If you want to get the best performance from your drive, you'll need a more modern MOBO.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be happy to replace your drive but, the issue is not the SSD. It's the 5+ year old Nvidia based MOBO that is not AHCI compliant that is the issue. There is a reason they don't make chipsets anymore.

We're sorry you had this problem but mixing new hardware with very old, non compliant hardware rarely produces satisfactory results.

Thanks for the reply, But I fear you may be wrong....

the drive was working fine on the ASMedia 106x PCI-e card (AHCI Compliant)for a couple of days...

Were it a compatability problem, I would expect to see it not work at all., with no working time...

this has though, worked for a few days, and now stopped all together...

I had a 40GB SSDNow drive in the PC for about 2 years, with no problems.. The 40GB is recognised on the Card OK, so it's not the controller..

Ticket raised, RMA soon, Then off to EBAY with replacement..

Ah, it would be helpful if you mention things like using a PCI-e card in your post. The firmware update is not going to work over the ASMedia card. You'll need to do it on a more modern machine with either an AMD or Intel controller.

Regardless, if the drive is defective, we will replace it.

Nope...

Firmware upgrade went smoothly over the ASMedia card...

Interesting. We tested on "some" PCI-e cards internally and it would not work reliably. Good to hear.

As far as the failure, electronics sometimes fail, regardless of brand or type. That's why we have a warranty and RMA service.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived