Corsair Community

If I don't see h115i in iCue, does it mean the pump isn't running?

hvgotcodes

I think I have a defective USB port on my H115i pump, as it doesn't show up in iCue. If it doesn't show up in iCue, does that mean the pump won't run?

The fans spin and the lights are on. The reason I think it's the USB connection is I got it to show up once, by jiggling the cable, but it won't show up again on restart no matter what I do.

My graphics card is arriving today and I wanted to do more intensive things on the machine, but not if it will fry my CPU. I plan on exchanging the H115i this weekend or Monday. Is it safe to use until I can return it?

As long as the pump is working, yes. How do you know if the pump isn't working if you can't see it in iCUE? Two ways:

1) Your temps are within expected ranges. If the pump fails, it'll get hot super-quickly ... like before you even get to Windows. If you to go the BIOS, you'll likely see it throttle.

2) You have a RPM value on the CPU_FAN header (assuming that you have it plugged in to the CPU_FAN header).

The pumps do have a fail-safe mode; they'll operate with their presets even without configuration or connection to iCUE. Otherwise, they wouldn't work at boot. Now, it may not be optimal but it won't be dangerous. You can also touch the pump head while the system is on; you should feel the vibration.

And the H100 is a good cooler but you get better cooling with larger surface area. The H115 has a much larger surface area ... so if you can fit it, I do recommend the H115 over the H100. That said, I do have 2 systems at the house running H100i Platinums.

As long as the pump is working, yes. How do you know if the pump isn't working if you can't see it in iCUE? Two ways:

1) Your temps are within expected ranges. If the pump fails, it'll get hot super-quickly ... like before you even get to Windows. If you to go the BIOS, you'll likely see it throttle.

2) You have a RPM value on the CPU_FAN header (assuming that you have it plugged in to the CPU_FAN header).

The pumps do have a fail-safe mode; they'll operate with their presets even without configuration or connection to iCUE. Otherwise, they wouldn't work at boot. Now, it may not be optimal but it won't be dangerous. You can also touch the pump head while the system is on; you should feel the vibration.

And the H100 is a good cooler but you get better cooling with larger surface area. The H115 has a much larger surface area ... so if you can fit it, I do recommend the H115 over the H100. That said, I do have 2 systems at the house running H100i Platinums.

Thanks for all this. The H115i does fit in my case but it completely fills its area to the point where it’s partially blocking some of the grommets. I can get wires through them but it’s a pain. What do you recommend?

Edited by hvgotcodes

How often are you routing wires through the grommet?

How often do you need cooling?

The H100 will run warmer, which means higher fan speeds. The H115 did a respectable job cooling a ThreadRipper 2950X. So ... given a choice, if you can make the 115 work, I'd go for it.

Consider:

Total Surface area of a 240mm radiator: 28,800 mm2.

Total Surface area of a 280mm radiator: 39,200 mm2.

Total Surface area of a 360mm radiator: 43,200 mm2.

The 115 has 37% more surface area than the 100. It's close to the 360mm radiator.

How often are you routing wires through the grommet?

How often do you need cooling?

The H100 will run warmer, which means higher fan speeds. The H115 did a respectable job cooling a ThreadRipper 2950X. So ... given a choice, if you can make the 115 work, I'd go for it.

Consider:

Total Surface area of a 240mm radiator: 28,800 mm2.

Total Surface area of a 280mm radiator: 39,200 mm2.

Total Surface area of a 360mm radiator: 43,200 mm2.

The 115 has 37% more surface area than the 100. It's close to the 360mm radiator.

Yeah you are probably right. Well my cpu stays pretty cool now even without icue, and the fans run, so I guess that means the pump is fine except for the busted usb connection. Although I’ve never dealt any vibration from it.

Is there a way to know for sure the usb connection is faulty, other than eliminating all other possibilities?