Corsair Community

Corsair H100i V2 Cooling Question

scp

Hey all i'm new here im going from air cooling to water cooling (am3+) i have a question to ask the Corsair H100i V2 comes with the Corsair link to plug into a usb header pin at the bottom of the motherboard, but the question is do i need to use that as i dont mind the lighting and cooling specs part of it, can i just run it by plugging in the cpu and the two fans in the Y connector it comes with please clarify this with me i appreciate it not sure if i can post links in here but here is what i want to purchase Thanks for your support

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9980067&CatId=499

No, you do not have to connect the USB cable to make the cooler function. It will run on its on and is perfectly capable of performing this way. You give up a few things: LED control, pump speed toggle (low/high), coolant temperature, and the ability to control the fans from the pump. The coolant temp is the only real useful item. It is the best indicator of actual cooler function, makes for a good fan control variable, and is key when diagnosing trouble. You could temporarily connect the USB if troubleshooting is required.

I would suggest connecting the fans to the motherboard and not the pump if you are going to bypass Link. You won't be able to adjust them without it and it is too room/case temperature sensitive to leave it to a universal preset. Control your fans as you see fit from the board, but keep in mind they don't need to run super fast or react to CPU temp changes. Slow to moderate and steady is all you need. If your board has a temp sensor wire input, you can run that to the exhaust side of the radiator and get/use that as a substitute for coolant temperature. It will mirror the actual value quite closely.

If you plug the fans into the pump block without the USB cable and no connection to Link, the fans will follow a default fan curve programmed into the firmware. So, it works. However, coolant temperature (the control variable) is greatly affected by local ambient temperature. This might work just fine in Winter, but be really loud and annoying at idle in the Summer. Regardless, you would have no feedback or control.

The H105 is a 38mm thick 240mm radiator and thus has a surface area advantage over the H100i v2. With the same fans at the same speed, the H105 theoretically offers better results. Specific to your situation, there are some strong arguments in favor of the H105. It is a non-Link cooler. This means there is no USB, the pump and fans run from the motherboard or directly from the PSU. It also has a proven track record and you don't see too many complaints in the forums. The only real catch is you need about 63mm of room to mount it (38mm radiator + 25 fan). There are no LEDs or special features. Just a solid working cooler.

c-attack and ram1220 Thanks for your support so for my needs i guess i should go with the h105 since it has no corsair-link its just plug in to pump and thats it where as the h100i v2 it will work with the pump but you say it wont have as much control than the h105 ?

On the H105 you must plug the radiator fans into the motherboard or other fan controller. There is not an internal one on the cooler. You can do the same with the H100i v2, but since you won’t be using usb features, you pay more for less with no clear advantages.

Here is my CoolerMaster Case and my motherboard c-attack and ram1220 so from what you guys know better than me this h105 will work better for me than the h100i v2 and it should fit like you said about the 63mm of room to mount it (38mm radiator + 25 fan). just want to make the proper purchase and like you said with less hassle and headache with no corsair link-usb thing attached sorry for all questions i appreciate you guys bearing with me c-attack and ram1220 bottom line for am3+ and what i want i should purchase the h105 which is this one like you said It also has a proven track record and you don't see too many complaints in the forums http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9125300&CatId=499

20171025_221604.thumb.jpg.d2c9c92d2b83dd65df809a36d48ccfdc.jpg

20171025_213016.thumb.jpg.edae87086da37958ff45ae3b93a4da9c.jpg

20171025_213041.thumb.jpg.e31dec3e89e57aeae9b7bb9c0b7dc7e4.jpg

Is that a CM HAF 932? I can't quite tell. That's a big case with lots of room up top. It's not the radiator mount that causes issues, but fan/rad collisions with the motherboard VRM heatsink or ATX plugs ans sometimes very tall RAM as well. You should be able to tke a rough measurement in your case Can you also fit a 360mm up top? Or do you have to lose the 5.25" drive bays? A 360 offers the better cooling still with low fan speeds, but most cases cannot accommodate them without giving up something else.

Archived