Corsair Community

Fan Question - LL/ML

FurlongHokie

I will be adding an H150i Pro XT to my setup this weekend and want to make sure my expectations are correct with regards to the fans. I already have 3x LL 120 fans in my case connected to the Node Core and to a 1 to 4 splitter which is connected to my micro ATX mobo (only has 2 fan headers fml). Anyways, I will also be upgrading to an X570 mobo and am wondering if I'm going to need any other hardware for the fans.

I believe that connecting ML and LL fans to the same Node Core will cause the Core to see all 6 of the fans as the same type (lowest common denominator) so it will treat them all as ML since those have less LEDs in them - is that correct? Also will I be able to control all of them if I connect say 4 of them to the fan splitter and the other two directly to the mobo?

Or will I need (in addition to the node core) a fan hub to connect all 6 fans?

First, the Core doesn't "see" or "detect" the fans connected - you have to tell it what's there. So it'll treat your fans however you tell it to.

Now, there isn't official support for multiple fan types on a single channel/Node Core ... but it can work.

In this case, you'd want the 3 LL fans in ports 1-2-3 and the ML fans on ports 4-5-6. Configure the channel as 4 LL fans. The last 3 ML fans will be controlled by LEDs on the 4th "LL" in the channel. Some effects will, however, be weird.

That said, I'm not sure it's an issue. The H150 Pro XT doesn't come with RGB fans, just an RGB Pump head.