Corsair Community

H110IGTX temps

Billy1981

Can you please explain why NOT Prime95?

The more recent versions of prime95 use AVX2 in addition to the AVX instructions to perform the calculations. Due to the way AVX2 (FMA3 on amd cpus) works, this cause the CPU to bump the voltage up (0.1 or 0.2v can't remember) which if you are already OCing will be added on top of whatever voltage you've put in the bios.

This behaviour, will cause any program that makes use of such extensions to make CPU temperatures irrealistically HIGH. This is not exclusive to prime95. Every program that uses AVX2/FMA3 will produce the same results. Linpack with AVX2 optimizations for example, makes the CPU just as hot if not hotter than prime95 does.

If you are hellbent on using prime95 however, you should use version 26.6 or inferior, those do not make use of AVX2 and thus, no overvoltage will happen.

i think it's a very personal choice. Personally p95 prior to v27.9 (without AVX extension) were not as helpful to me in testing in terms of ruling out instability. i've had chips that passed V25.x for hours and would crap out on h264 encoding within 15 mins. with i7's new architecture since Ivy Bridge, they really hammered the avx and hence become an integral part of stability. P95 small FFT will give you obscene amount of unrealistic heat signature that you will NEVER see in real-world. however, it sets a benchmark limit for you for your overclock in terms of maximum heat output.

again, this is all very personal. for me, my workflow of determining stability, since the introduction of avx extension has shifted from exclusive p95 to P95 v27.9 or later + combination of H264 encode. i've had chips that pass V27.9 or later for 2 hours, but still craps out in H264 encoding within 5 mins. the later generations of i7 seems to be very sensitive to H264 encoding. so in recent years i've been testing the chips with P95 small FFT to establish a maximum limit in terms of heat signature and general stability, and if it passes 4 hours of that, i move onto Ripbot264 encoding 1 or 2 blu-ray discs using setting of CRF 18. so far my i7 3770K that's delid at 4.9ghz at 1.45v has been rock solid stable since.

again, you will find everyone with different methods and opinions on this matter. you will have to decide what works for you. i will not go as far as to say any mentioned above is wrong or right, but merely opinions based on user experiences.

Archived