Corsair Community

Help setting up Hydro Series H115i PRO

VanBuran

I have just bought a H115i PRO RGB 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler and need some help with the setup please.

MB Asrock Z370 Extreme4

CPU i7-8700K

The MB UEFI Bios has a setup for for the fan speeds IE " Fan Tuning" and "Fan-Tastic Tuning". I was wondering what setting these should set to before installing ICUE?

Doesn't matter. The H115i Pro has a built in fan controller for its fans (that's where the connectors lead back to) and the actual pump/fan/lighting power are supplied via the SATA cable. What left if the "dummy" motherboard lead that normally goes on CPU fan. This does two things: 1) report a pump speed to the BIOS (you will still see in iCUE if the USB is connected); 2) Prevent or Notify you for a CPU boot error. Motherboards by default want something on CPU fan when you boot to make sure you have some cooling method in place. This solves that aspect, provides the pump speed, and also will notify you if something goes wrong on boot with the cooler. Power on always has the higher moment of risk for anything electrical.

You don't have to put the H115i PRO lead on CPU fan. You can stick it elsewhere for wiring routing. However, you will then need to either disable the CPU boot warning mechanism in the BIOS or stick another fan on CPU fan. Typically CPU Fan can only run based off CPU temp (like an air cooler would), so it may not be as useful as chassis fan header. If you do put the H115i Pro on CPU Fan, set the fan control for that header to Disabled or any other language AS uses that locks it at 100%. It only has two pins and the headers can't do anything to the pump, but in my experience on Asus boards the fan tuning will occasionally hang as it tries to get a reading from something it can't change. ASRock may or may be the same, but it is an easy one second toggle to make when you're in there.

Doesn't matter. The H115i Pro has a built in fan controller for its fans (that's where the connectors lead back to) and the actual pump/fan/lighting power are supplied via the SATA cable. What left if the "dummy" motherboard lead that normally goes on CPU fan. This does two things: 1) report a pump speed to the BIOS (you will still see in iCUE if the USB is connected); 2) Prevent or Notify you for a CPU boot error. Motherboards by default want something on CPU fan when you boot to make sure you have some cooling method in place. This solves that aspect, provides the pump speed, and also will notify you if something goes wrong on boot with the cooler. Power on always has the higher moment of risk for anything electrical.

You don't have to put the H115i PRO lead on CPU fan. You can stick it elsewhere for wiring routing. However, you will then need to either disable the CPU boot warning mechanism in the BIOS or stick another fan on CPU fan. Typically CPU Fan can only run based off CPU temp (like an air cooler would), so it may not be as useful as chassis fan header. If you do put the H115i Pro on CPU Fan, set the fan control for that header to Disabled or any other language AS uses that locks it at 100%. It only has two pins and the headers can't do anything to the pump, but in my experience on Asus boards the fan tuning will occasionally hang as it tries to get a reading from something it can't change. ASRock may or may be the same, but it is an easy one second toggle to make when you're in there.

Other than what c-attack mentioned the cooler doesn't need much tweaking, but if you don't use the CPU_FAN heading it may shoot that fan detection error which often tricks people into thinking their cooler is defective.

Thanks for the replies and information. Have it connected to the CPU_FAN and do not have any problems when switching on the computer. Can't believe how silent the unit is:biggrin:

Archived