Corsair Community

H80 radiator mounting question

rebelspy

I have an h80 that i just purchased and i would like to mount the radiator on the back with the outlets on the top side so that i have room to mount the side case fan for better cooling.

My question is is it safe to mount the radiator with the outlets on the top instead of having them on the bottom ?

You can mount the H80 either way up!

Many prefer their coolant hoses to be at the bottom of their radiators when mounted.

They can also be mounted orientated to the top however, if it is your preference, or if necessity dictates :).

see thats what i thought too but aparently alot of people are saying that you can develope vapor lock if the hoses are on the top.

Rebelspy,

As an example. My H80's radiator is mounted with the hoses at the bottom. Following a successful installation and despite perfect operation of my H80 for the first 9 or 10 days, somehow a giant air bubble managed to find it's way into my CPU Water Block. This in turn completely messed with the operation of the H80's water pump. I even thought the pump had begun to fail due to the noise it was making and the fact my CPU was reaching near terminal temps. I could also clearly hear that no water was being pumped around the system. My system had not been moved during this period or any components touched, yet somehow, it still happened.

I had to completely un-install my H80, let it completely cool for 24 hours, then gently roll the radiator and CPU block around all axis x, y, and z, and voila, the air blockage cleared with a lot of grateful gurgling. Since re-installing again, all is as it should be, 100% :).

With the benefit of hindsight. I would say that when you take delivery of an H50, 60, 70, 80, or 100, it's best to simply leave the unit to sit for at least 24 hours to completely settle after all sorts of movement prior to and during the delivery process. During the installation of the Hydro Cooler after letting it settle, try not to shake or excessively move the radiator in a manner that could again cause a build up of tiny air bubbles in the system.

After that, the chances of "Vapour Lock" are extremely low, regardless of hose orientation.

Vapour Lock is an issue more common to water cooling systems that aren't a sealed unit, and that are often built by people who don't understand the finer points of water cooling systems. Often they are further built by people new to water cooling who haven't researched the various pro's and con's, installation guides, or other generalised "Do's and Don'ts" beforehand too.

Your H80 should be absolutely fine with your hoses at the top :). Good luck with it.

Archived