Corsair Community

Noise Issue With AX1200W Fan

Funkstar

I've got an AX1200 PSU for little under half a year, and it is a great PSU.

I do however, have an issue with it being louder than I'd like.

Possibly I'm overly sensitive, large PSU's are naturally harder to make as quiet as smaller ones - It's just that I watercooled my PC recently, and the PSU is now the loudest component in my system. I had not anticipated that. Turn out part of the noise i was trying to get rid of which i thought was GPU or CPU cooler was infact my PSU and the vibration its causing.

It's definitely noise from the fan that's the issue - if it's persuaded to stop, the noise is non existent. It's not exactly loud, but nor is it quiet. A lot of the noise is due to vibration. I've had to use extra insulation between the case and floor, in spite of rubber feet on the case. Furthermore I've added foam insulation between the case and the psu to decrease vibration further, it still remains too noisy for my liking unfortunately. I'm not expecting it to be silent, but it manages to annoy me at 4 feets distance through a case thats closed and made up of three layers of sandwiched steel and plastic.

I had a Corsair HX620 before getting this one, and was very very happy with it, and noise was never an issue with it so i didn't give noise much of a thought with this purchase - Possibly this is just an unfortunate sideeffect of me buying a larger PSU and not a defect?

As I said, it's not LOUD as long as i keep it mechanically decoupled from the floor, it's just not quiet either (if left standing on the floor, its slightly obscene the amount of resonance i get). It's not running hot, which would cause the fan to spin up - the load is quite low on the unit. When I place my hand over the exhaust, it's pushing air that feels cold, and quite a lot of it considering that not a lot of air movement should be necessary to keep the unit cool under this low load.

Is this a faulty PSU? Maybe the fan speed isn't regulating properly? Or just a necessity for such a beefy PSU??

Any tips on what to do to lower the noise so i can love it like my old PSU?

With Regards,

- Funkstar

Sorry for the long post :)

• Corsair Employee

There are a few things you have stated that caused some questions in my mind as to what might be going on, specifically:

As I said, it's not LOUD as long as i keep it mechanically decoupled from the floor, it's just not quiet either (if left standing on the floor, its slightly obscene the amount of resonance i get)

This would suggest it may not be the Fan or the PSU, but its hard to gauge the sound level by ear. Have you tried taking the PSU out of the case to test it with out it connected to the case or system? Do you still hear the same fan noise? And the Fan speed will rev up based on Load and temp inside the PSU and normally they are quiet but at 60-80 % load the fan will be at or near 100% RPM/ Highest NOISE level. So they can be loud because of the high out put so some noise is expected but what except able to you may not bother someone else and Vice Versa.

So I guess at this point its up to you if you want to try and replace the PSU I dont have any problem with that, please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it.

• 1 month later...
I've got an AX1200 PSU for little under half a year, and it is a great PSU.

I do however, have an issue with it being louder than I'd like.

Possibly I'm overly sensitive, large PSU's are naturally harder to make as quiet as smaller ones - It's just that I watercooled my PC recently, and the PSU is now the loudest component in my system. I had not anticipated that. Turn out part of the noise i was trying to get rid of which i thought was GPU or CPU cooler was infact my PSU and the vibration its causing.

It's definitely noise from the fan that's the issue - if it's persuaded to stop, the noise is non existent. It's not exactly loud, but nor is it quiet. A lot of the noise is due to vibration. I've had to use extra insulation between the case and floor, in spite of rubber feet on the case. Furthermore I've added foam insulation between the case and the psu to decrease vibration further, it still remains too noisy for my liking unfortunately. I'm not expecting it to be silent, but it manages to annoy me at 4 feets distance through a case thats closed and made up of three layers of sandwiched steel and plastic.

I had a Corsair HX620 before getting this one, and was very very happy with it, and noise was never an issue with it so i didn't give noise much of a thought with this purchase - Possibly this is just an unfortunate sideeffect of me buying a larger PSU and not a defect?

As I said, it's not LOUD as long as i keep it mechanically decoupled from the floor, it's just not quiet either (if left standing on the floor, its slightly obscene the amount of resonance i get). It's not running hot, which would cause the fan to spin up - the load is quite low on the unit. When I place my hand over the exhaust, it's pushing air that feels cold, and quite a lot of it considering that not a lot of air movement should be necessary to keep the unit cool under this low load.

Is this a faulty PSU? Maybe the fan speed isn't regulating properly? Or just a necessity for such a beefy PSU??

Any tips on what to do to lower the noise so i can love it like my old PSU?

With Regards,

- Funkstar

Sorry for the long post :)

Oh man you just described my case ! What have you done with it ? Have you RMAed PSU ?

That sound is jut driving me nuts - it is resonance indeed. I also have feeling that fan is pushing constant amount of air no matter of load :(

regards

Mirko

Did you try some of the suggestions I made for the OP case?

But AX1200's will produce about 30 Db of noise at or above 900 Watts so how the system is loaded will have an impact.

Hello,

Thanks for replying. I have tried everything. At the moment I'm uploading videos with PSU in computer case, in open air, without load, etc... so you can judge if it is faulty fan or PWM controller. Whatever the answer will be my AX1200 is packed back to the box :( It was simply too loud for me.

I will open another thread with my issue.

many thanks

Mirko

If you have already arranged to send it back I do not see the point but what ever you would like to do.

The point is that I really don't know what to think about this product. Some people say it is almost inaudible, some say it is loud. I just want to know if my perception of quiet unit is different than Corsair's perception of quiet operation. Most likely RMA won't be possible to carry out due to country where I live. I have traveled 440 km in ONE direction to get this unit, so I just want to be sure if this unit is bad lemon before trying to exchange it or refund it. Refund is pretty much pointless in my case since cost of getting back to retailer almost reach unit value.

Regarding RMA there was 3 days since I was notified that RMA is accepted and that I will be contacted with RMA instructions. So far no information arrived. I have sent additional email 24 hours ago - no response.

If there is no you guys from forums I would be pretty much angry.

regards

Mirko

As I said you guys are great. If there wasn't forum support I would be really angry.

this was the mail I have received:

----------------------------------

Dear Valued Corsair Customer,

We apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered with your Corsair product. We have received & approved your online RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) request and will e-mail your confirmation RMA number along with return instructions within 24 hours.

If you do not receive the RMA confirmation within one business day, please contact Corsair's Customer Service Department at TF# 888-222-4346 or send an e-mail inquiry to rma@corsair.com . All e-mail inquiries should include the first and last name the RMA was requested under, telephone number and TSX Case number. NOTE** Corsair's Customer Service Department is available M-F, 8:00am - 5:00 PM PST, excluding holidays. Please allow additional response time for inquires sent over holiday's and weekends. ----------------------------------

Case number number is 2273636

I have never received RMA confirmation and instructions.

many thanks

Mirko

Ok, Got replacement from retailer. This unit is even worse it has high pitch ball bearing sound from YateLoon fan. When I stop fan bearing noise /high pitch noise/ disappears :(

I got RMA number for 1st unit a day after I got this replacement from retailer. Can I use that RMA number with this faulty replacement unit or I have to open new RMA request for this one?

thanks

Mirko

• Corsair Employee
I have sent customer service a message to set up a different type of RMA for you we want to take a look at that PSU here at the main office. But our customer service has already left for the day, but you should get an email tomorrow morning no later than about 1:00 PM Pacific Time. Please let me know if they do not contact you.

I have sent customer service a message to set up a different type of RMA for you we want to take a look at that PSU here at the main office. But our customer service has already left for the day, but you should get an email tomorrow morning no later than about 1:00 PM Pacific Time. Please let me know if they do not contact you.

Many thanks RAM GUY! I will wait for an email and let you know how it goes.

I will send PSU gladly to your main office for investigation.

many thanks

Mirko

RAM GUY

I just got an email from support with RMA # and instructions. UPS will pickup my PSU for shipment. MANY THANKS for all your efforts in resolving this issue.

I will let you know when it resolves so we can celebrate :)

Best regards and many thanks

Mirko Cetkovic

Archived