Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 Timing Question

Ascendic

So I purchased 2 sets of the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 (Vengeance CL8 8GB DDR1600Mhz kits)

The RAM stickers state it runs at 8-8-8-24, which is fine however I was getting a ton of errors with Mem test. I tried relaxing the timings and then lowering the clocks down to 1067Mhz and sure enough no more errors.

I saw somewhere on your site where it stated the timings rated were for 2T? Is this correct?

It is not a huge issue but more of a product marketing failure as these modules say no where (including on the page for them on your own website) that the timings specified are for 2T. If this is the case I will deal with it however it would have been nice to know before I bought them.

The sad thing is my previous modules ******** 1600Mhz ran at 7-7-7-18 1T. Why is everything on the market now so damn slow? You can hardly find anything faster than 8-8-8-24 and now I find out that those are 2T timings? WTF?

On the bright side your heat sinks were much easier to remove than the heat sink (this is the reason I had to buy new ram in the first place, 2 memory chips broke off 1 of the sticks while removing the heatsink. They use some industrial glue on those I will tell you...)

So tl;dr:

Thank you for making your heat sinks easy to remove (but the sticker on the top is pretty lame as you know your heatsinks are crap and bound to be anyway, but these stickers are easily removable :cool:)

But it would be nice to have stated on the chip what command clock the timings are rated for.

• Corsair Employee
These modules are made for and tested on an Intel Sandy Bridge using them on an AMD at DDR1600 will be hit and Miss as AMD CPU's only support DDR1333, but if you do I would as with any over clock suggest setting the memory Voltage to 1.7 Volts and set the memory controller Voltage to +.2 Volts and retest them..

Well, I will have to look in my motherboard manual for the memory controller voltage, but so far upping the voltage to 1.7V has made the ram stable at 8-8-8-24 1T

It has passed all the previous tests it failed and nearing 100% completion. Looks like a win. Thanks for the advice. I upped it to 1.56V not wanting to fry it since its designed for such low voltage. I guess I should have given it that extra push.

• 1 month later...

Still playing around with the settings. I thought I had it sorted by upping the voltage but it appears errors have started again.

Can someone from Corsair please tell me what these modules are specced to run at for first and second timings as my motherboard is terrible at auto selecting timings I want to make sure they are where they should be

Ok well either way running at 8-8-8-24 1.7V seemed to be ok but I dont think I was running memtest long enough. I was getting random crashes in Starcraft pointing to memory so I re-ran the tests and after 5-12 hours errors pop up. It is not the same everytime as I ran yesterday for 9 hours fine but then today after running 16 hours there were errors again.

I upped the voltage to 1.8 and the cpu/nb to 1.45. This didnt help so I change the cpu/nb to 1.35 and tried to up the ram to 1.85V

I will re-run more tests tonight but so far it looks like it is still not running stable at 1T with the specced latencies

My previous modules were reapers running 1600mhz with 7-7-7-18 1T 1.9V with 0 issues. So it is not the CPU.

According to CPUID XMP profiles show the ram running at 2T timing. So this would solve the riddle. What a shame. I do not understand how my reapers I purchased over 2 years ago are faster than these new vengeance chips. Granted these chips are 2x the capacity. But 7-7-7-18 1T vs 8-8-8-24 2T?

After downclocking to 2T and changing the voltage back to 1.5v the chips ran with 0 errors for 13 hrs in mem test.

Archived