Corsair Community

One HotSwap Bay not Working.

Silvio

Sir,

On my 800D, one out the four bays is not working.

The bay is #2 from top.

I changed the data cable at bay #2 to eliminate at least one suspect.

If the disk is inserted into bay #2 I can hear the disk spinning

The disk inserted into bays#1,#3,#4 is perfectly recognized from bios and from windows.

The (same) disk inserted into bay #2 is not recognized from Bios and from Windows.

Can you pls help me to solve the issue?

Pls can you tell me - in practical terms - if is better to connect the OS booting disk (velociraptor 300) to the SataII port directly or to the hot swap bays? Is a tremendous bottleneck?

ty so much for attention.

Happy Easter

ciao

Pls can you tell me - in practical terms - if is better to connect the OS booting disk (velociraptor 300) to the SataII port directly or to the hot swap bays? Is a tremendous bottleneck?

In terms of SATA2 speed and data bandwidth, there is no difference from connecting a drive in one of the hotswap bays to attaching the data cable directly.

Ty very much Trond for kind reply.

I saw the disks onto remove devices (on windows tray) so I wrongly thought they where converted as USB!

excuse my bad english

take care

Good Easter

ciao

@Ram Guy - I double checked allignment of bay #2 and seems to me that the disk enter and correctly connect (alligned) onto backplate as in the other working bays.

I start to think that something is wrong with the backplate board #2.

Sir,

On my 800D, one out the four bays is not working.

The bay is #2 from top.

I changed the data cable at bay #2 to eliminate at least one suspect.

If the disk is inserted into bay #2 I can hear the disk spinning

The disk inserted into bays#1,#3,#4 is perfectly recognized from bios and from windows.

The (same) disk inserted into bay #2 is not recognized from Bios and from Windows.

Can you pls help me to solve the issue?

........unquoted...................

If I insert the disk into bay # 2 while system is not running the disk will not be recognized by the machine.

If I insert disk into bay # 2 while system is running, win7 will - after few seconds - will crash and reboot (blue screen)....guru meditation :)

Cables are inserted correctly, I did not find issues on cables (how is reported in other 3ds)

I swapped cables to test was not a single faulty cable (from a bay to another) but the issue persist onto slot #2 even if it has the cable that b4 was working into #3

Do you think I need to change backplate #2 or are there any other check I can do here???

ty for attention...

Disk is WD 2TB

Mine seems nice cables, I can see that swapping them they are all wor********..I really think is the bay#2 circuit board that is faulty. but will wait until Ram Guy will tell me what to do.

edit : ...ops filters on wor********..? lol vbulletin could be setted to avoid this ;)

on ACP > vbulletin options > censored words

If you type 'dog', all words containing the string 'dog' would be censored (dogma, for instance, would appear as '***ma'). To censor more accurately, you can require that censors occur only for exact words. You can do this by placing a censor word in curly braces, as in {dog}. Signifying 'dog' in the curly braces would mean that dogma would appear as dogma, but dog would appear as '***'. Thus your censor list may appear as: cat {dog} {barn} barn

regards

I had the same problem with mine and 4 HDD's. It is a conflict within the backplane. I've confirmed it by connecting the drives directly to the motherboard with the same cables and everything works perfectly. The No.1 slot in my hot swap bay doesn't work if i use 3 drives, however it works with 2. So i am forced to use hot swap bays 2,3 and 4. I have to directly connect the 4th to the motherboard and have it in the non swap bays at the bottom of the cabinet. I love my 800D, but i was very dissapointed that i can't utilise all 4 hot swap bays, but thats just the way it is i guess.

It's a fantastic case and i recommend it to friends, but i do make them away of this problem i have experienced.

Ty Jack, I will try to connect it directly to the sata port and double check.

A very strange thing is that if I connect directly the boot disk (velociraptor) to the sata port, - disconnecting from HS bay #1 and connecting it to the same sata port where was connected HS bay#1 - Windows wont boot correctly, and will be unusable....that is definitivelly strange.

I did Windows install to HSbay#1, and it doesent let me modify.

Is the HotSwap using some drivers? i did not loaded any drivers for it! unless are auto loaded from windows. I will try a lnx installation one of these days..

regards

Ty Jack for kind Reply.

Actually I cant think that professionists and professional ppl like Corsair Staff wont find and sort out an hardware bug, specially if many users has the same issue.

I do not think is an Hardware Bug but I do think that is smething I have not setted properly or - could be - a factory broken circuit, and in that case - is an evidence - Corsair - is always ready to replace immediatelly the parts giving users very good post sale support.

I am quite sure that once Corsair Staff will read this 3d will tell me how to fix&solve the situation...I hope soon lol

take care.

ciao

edit: The issue I am experiencing is not that I cant utilise 4 bays! But just I can't utilise bay#2 even if all other bays are disconected ;)

• Corsair Employee

One more thing to try would be to unscrew the #2 backplane circuit board from the case and use a direct connection from the PSU to connect to the backplane. Connect your HDD to the backplane and see if you still have the same problems. We want to rule out a short caused by the screws that hold the backplane in place and at the same time make sure the SATA power adapter that comes with the case is not defective.

If you have the same problems then please Request an RMA. Just mention that you need a single backplane replaced rather than the entire case.

Just researching this problem and found this thread. I am in the same boat. Had 3 HD's installed. 1st bay WD 640gig /second bay WD 640 gig/thrird bay samsung 500g. Worked fine for 3 months, then windows stalled and froze when loading, noticed HD access light stayed on on post also and post didn't detect the drive half the time. Swapped second and third bays rinse-repeat samsung was fine for awhile. Chalked it up to maybe bad drive, replaced the Samsung with a WD 1TB. Worked perfect. Now my1TB in the thrid bay is again not being detected, or is but shows no data stats in windows and stalls explorer when I try to access it.

I am going to try the remove backplane trick. (which is a pain in the *** because sometimes it works fine and sometimes not.) So chances are I will remove it, hook a PS connector straight to the back plane and see if that works. Again though it's hit or miss so even good results might not catch the culprit.

One things for sure. There is a flaw somewhere that exists. Too many 2-3 hd systems here randomly not detecting drives.

• Corsair Employee
It sounds like its either got to be the backplane(s) themself or possibly the 4 port SATA power connector that attaches to the backplanes. If you can isolate which one is causing the problem then please Request an RMA and in the description, let us know which part you need replaced.

One more thing to try would be to unscrew the #2 backplane circuit board from the case and use a direct connection from the PSU to connect to the backplane. Connect your HDD to the backplane and see if you still have the same problems. We want to rule out a short caused by the screws that hold the backplane in place and at the same time make sure the SATA power adapter that comes with the case is not defective.

If you have the same problems then please Request an RMA. Just mention that you need a single backplane replaced rather than the entire case.

Ty, Ram Guy, as usual very kind.

This afternoon I will try what you are suggesting me now and I will report.

ciao

Have a good day

Screws are blocked (do you use loctite 270?) and i dont have here a suitable insert to unscrew them.

b4 destroing the head i'll do it later - as i need to go to my lab and pick up a decent screwdriver.

I'll report within few time.

by the way (unless it is in the back part) doesent seems to me that the head is shorting anything.

ciao

I did the test you suggested me but unfortunatelly it did not worked.

- removed the backpanel

- powered it directly via Psu connector.

So I will ask for RMA.

Ty very much and i'll let you know as soon as the new panel will be mounted&working.

regards

ciao

Hello I have exactly same problem...I am running Raptor 150 GB RAID1 and 3x SeaGate 500GB Non RAID and sometime the Hotswap just fail so When it fails, I restart my computer and then It boots up and only recognize 4 HDDs instead 5 and It freezes at Staring Windows with Logo. However, If I remove the fail drive, everything will continue working and booting up. But if I reinstall the fail drive backs in place, all the drives certainly stop working and start freezing up...I had sent one Raptor back for RMA because I thought It was death but now everything seems to happen again the two HDDs that connect directly from PSU are working just fine they never fail...So do your guys think that the backplane loses the power sometime?

Hi hale1278. I had a similar problem with my RAID 10 configuration, 3 of the 4 hotswap bays were randomly failing and then being marked good on and off. I contact the support and they were unbelievably great !

They are in the process of sending me 4 backplates along with 2 different power cables to switch and test for issues.

First of all make sure that the SATA power cable is not bending the SATA connectors on the backplates then if nothing helps contact them, they are great and go the extra mile (more like 10 miles) to help you.

I hope this helps.

Archived