Corsair Community

H60 Pump noise

shadowdogg

It has been a while since I have had to moan about my H60. At the time it was around January 2012 and I was getting all kinda of advice but none of them helped because it was a defect with the H60 itself. So back then I bought TWO H60's to try and fix it so I wouldn't be left without a CPU cooler (though i recently sold it to a friend to get rid of it...)

In May of 2012 it seems Corsair officially acknowledged the problem and as I don't go around searching Corsair forums for 4 months after buying something, I didn't know or hear about it or this 'advanced' RMA service. So what can someone like me who hasn't got an extra CPU cooler able to do?

The noise has either came back or my hypersensitivity to it has came back. I tried doing the usual, check all the other fans or devices aren't the issue but the only thing that I haven't removed whilst starting up is the pump as I don't want it to die on me. I even tried doing a molex to 3 pin adapter because Corsair said 'it wasn't just voltage issue' - complete nonsense. So am I left with either the fan controller fix to botch job Corsairs quite frankly shoddy workmanship on their coolers or can I do some kind of device swap with placing funds so that Corsair is 'protected' so I don't steal the defective product of theirs and resell it on at a useless price.

I would really like this problem resolved once and for all. I don't think I can ever trust corsair or their product quality ever again but if this was fixed, I would at least be on neutral grounds with them.

I BELIEVE it is the pump, it has to be but sound is bleming hard to find sometimes. I was thinking of temporarily removing the pump power temporarily whilst in BIOS but I chickened out. I assume a PC wouldn't want to turn on without the CPU power connector having something attached so I ditched that idea.

Use a field stethoscope: Locate a looong thin rod. Non-conductive or insulated is recommended. Place it gently against objects that you want to listen to. Place your ear to the rod. Only sounds conducted by the rod will be heard.

Chopstick? Fondue fork? Socket set extension? Spatula handle? Wooden cooking spoon? Heck, even a candle taper would work. Just remember to ground yourself before sticking anything into a machine and be very aware of where it is going to make contact especially if it is conductive and not insulated.

Sometimes, you can use a paper towel core and just point it at the subject in question but it isn't as precise as direct contact. Sounds will echo from adjacent objects, muddying the results a bit, but better than taking everything apart. A flexible plastic tube of a larger diameter can work. Too small and nothing much gets up the channel. It's a trade-off between pointing accuracy and hearing anything useful.

Changed starting post. Ramguy please look when you can. You seem to be the only Corsair official who bothered to look at this forum.

I did post an 'RMA' but forgot the case code. Could you please give your 'instructions' as posted in that other thread please. Also the lot code, my box will be slightly different as I said previously, I did just swap the radiator/pump out with new one, does this matter or not?

Got such a headache here with all this. Words cannot express how disappointed I am that I was not informed about future developments of this grinding noise.

Hi Ramguy, I have sent through that form. however, assuming that this doesn't work out for me (£25 postage is far too much for what it is worth), how would I go about increasing the voltage to 2700RPM like that corsairgeorge guy did? I would rather the RPM was increased rather than decreased for cpu cooling reasons.

Ok, did more testing. Whilst the h60 does make an annoying noise, for now my GPU is making more of an annoying noise from the fan. I think I shall try out an aftermarket gpu cooler first before messing about with h60 to netherlands.. (really wish you guys would get a UK base though).

Archived