Corsair Community

H series pump speeds

babdi

After reading numerous posts it made me wonder and ask this

If the pump is same between H60 to H100 why are the set speeds between them different

I have read posts where set speed of H60 is around 4000 RPM while that of H100 is almost half.

Common sense tells me that since H100 has larger specific area the pump speed should have been higher compared to H60.What gives ?:feedback:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im guessing the H100 pump has a larger flow rate & does not need to spin faster, Are you sure your BIOS/Mobo software has not lowered the speed/voltage?

Is the pump on the H60 really the same as the H100?

I had a noise on my new H60 when I first installed it and read that it goes away when the speed/volts is dropped so it now runs at around 2900 rpm and it is silent, Maybe this is why the H100 pump speed is lower, To avoid the dreaded noise it makes at full speed

Can you give us the exact speed that the H100 is running at?

Im about to mod my H60 so im researching all the details

Well, I have some information on your question, as odd as it will sound.

The H60, H80, and H100 all use the same pump, the H60 does not have the fan controller that the other do, but that is the only difference besides the radiators.

But why does the H60 have a different pump speed, and why faster on the cooler with the smallest radiator? About six months ago, this very topic was being discussed in a thread that is likely long gone. After many pages of the usual guessing, conjecture, and theories, one of the Corsair representatives (I don't recall who) posted a response.

The reply stated that the H60's pump speed is actually the same as the H80 and H100, but the tachometer signal is somehow set to twice the actual pump speed. That really was the end of that thread.

That is the only information I have about this topic, and have never anything else about it. There was one post I recall from a H60 user that said they had disconnected the power from their H60 while the PC was running, and after reconnecting it, the pump speed was ~2000 RPM. I've never tried that myself.

Whether or not this is true, I don't know. The speed specs and real world results confirm that well. My "slower" H60's pump is running right now between 4245 and 4153 RPM (max and min.), the other goes over 4300, and I could swear when it was new, reached 4400 RPM at times. That was on a different PC of course, but using the same monitoring software. Both are connected directly to the PS, which are almost identical.

The reply stated that the H60's pump speed is actually the same as the H80 and H100, but the tachometer signal is somehow set to twice the actual pump speed.

I am confounded as why the tacho is set to show 4000 when it spins at same speed as H100; it belies logic :bigeyes:

Seems to defy logic, but how about this. A company that sources their products from another manufacture, wants to differentiate their products from that source. When the initial model is made available, they change a basic spec of the product for that reason, or even at the suggestion of the source. Later on, they decide there's no point in doing so with other similar products, but know if they change the spec of the original product, some people will want the version with the "better" spec. So they leave things as they are.

But does it not mean that they subfertuge the truth and mislead consumers with falsehood. Once the customer finds out will it not do more damage to the reputation than if they had told the truth :nono:

Of course that is true.

There's a great example of that which just recently occurred, where a well know manufacture of SSDs (not Corsair) introduced a new SSD that supposedly contained their own proprietary SSD controller. But it turned out that the controller was made by yet another company, and was literally labeled with the SSDs manufactures controller brand name.

The result of this deception is still being sorted out.

I doubt it's the "tacho is set to twice the speed" case, it's just that some logic circuitry will misread the signal as double the RPM that it's really reporting. That was the case with the H100 I had on Asus P8Z68 Deluxe board, the BIOS was showing doubled RPM.

There are circumstances when it can happen but I won't dwell into that.

Bottom line: all pumps run at (very) roughly 2000RPM, if yours is reading twice that, it's not broken, it's not faster, that just happens.

Does it mean those MBs which report correct speed is able to discern the signal correctly amongnst the not so square or noisy wave. If that is so then Pump PCB should deliver the correct square wave form that all MOBOs is expected to receive.

I doubt it's the "tacho is set to twice the speed" case, it's just that some logic circuitry will misread the signal as double the RPM that it's really reporting. That was the case with the H100 I had on Asus P8Z68 Deluxe board, the BIOS was showing doubled RPM.

There are circumstances when it can happen but I won't dwell into that.

Bottom line: all pumps run at (very) roughly 2000RPM, if yours is reading twice that, it's not broken, it's not faster, that just happens.

Well, the two H60s I use show a pump speed of ~4200 RPM, and report that consistently, as well as of other H60 users. I must say I don't see a pump speed spec for the H60. How or why that speed reading happens I really don't know, maybe it is a fluke, but a common one. Since the H60 has the capability to report the pump speed, if the actual speed is a fluke or not, who knows?

Well, maybe the circuitry on the H60 is different is is sending incorrect signal, but as far as we know the pumps are the same on all newer Hydro coolers. They are barely keeping up with 2000RPM, I can't imagine one at 4000...

But like I said, the H100 I had was showing 4000RPM too, which was clearly a misreading.

I really don't think the H60's pump runs at 4000+ RPM, although very small 40mm or 50mm fans can run at very high speeds, over 4000 RPM easily. Air and water have a little bit different density. ;):

I've seen a few posts in this forum of odd fan speeds like you had, under certain circumstances, but rarely.

(I hate throwing more wood on the pump noise fire...) Is it my imagination, or is it more frequently the H80 or H100 that have pump noise, rather than the H60? Given the posts in this forum. My H100 is quiet as can be, although the fan controller is not working. PWM fans to the rescue, which I prefer anyway.

I'll throw in even more wood, maybe your H100 is silent because your fan controller isn't working?

Strange theory, given the info that you have provided on the unit's circuitry, but I've read about a case where the pump was grinding with fans in one pair of slots and it wasn't with them in the other 2 slots, but the fans weren't being regulated in the second case. So the guy had to choose - fans at full speed but no noise, or regulated fans but grinding pump.

Okay, let's not get carried away... :)

Now lets see this way

Since pumps in H60 "actually" run around 2000 RPM though it shows 4000 why is it not possible wirh H80 and H100 that the voltage actually given to pump through PCB is less which makes the pump noisy though the probe at molex or MB header reads 12V

Now lets see this way

Since pumps in H60 "actually" run around 2000 RPM though it shows 4000 why is it not possible wirh H80 and H100 that the voltage actually given to pump through PCB is less which makes the pump noisy though the probe at molex or MB header reads 12V

Sorry babdi, but I did not understand your statement.

I have both of my H60s connected directly to my PS with a molex to three pin adapter, that also has an extra third wire for speed monitoring connected to a three pin fan connector. So the pumps receive power that has not passed through a mother board, but the mother board is receiving the speed signal from the pump. I have already listed the speeds of my H60's pumps, both ~4200 RPM.

Parsec

what I was saying is pump feeds rather wrong pulse to MOBO showing the speed as 4000 while it runs at 2000. Pump speed of 4000 for H60 appears wrong given same pump operates across H60 to H100. I am unwilling to believe that pump runs at 4000 and as wlw said there is an error in pulse being sent out. Given this, my argument is if the pump PCB can give out a wrong pulse why cant it feed wrong voltage to pump which could be causing the noise. Has anyone measured the voltage "at" the pump as to what voltage it actually receives

babdi, Ah, I see, thanks. As I said, I don't think the H60's pump runs at 4000+ RPM. Babdi, in the following I am simply discussing your idea and not criticizing you personally, alright?

I don't understand why the reported pump speed of the H60 must be due to an error, mistake, interference, or some issue, rather than intent. That conclusion means all H60s have a bug in reporting pump speed, which IMO is highly unlikely. IMO, the reported pump speed of a H60, or any pump or fan, can be manipulated easily, since modifications of an electrical signal to provide a result is the most basic purpose of any electronic device.

Next, even if some issue was causing an incorrect pump speed to be reported, why would that affect the voltage to the pump? I see little to no relationship between the two. Also, how does that theory relate to the H80 and H100, whose pump speed we accept as reported correctly, yet also are known to have pump noise in some units?

Parsec

As far a H60 go many mobos "does" show speed around 2000+ which shows that certain boards are able to read that the chaotic signal,I if I may call,while other mobos dont;applying wlw theory or contention.

Coming to H80 and H100 I suspect that the PCBs is defective and I took the ananlogy of H60's speed sensing and further extended the argument saying that if pump PCB could send out wrong signal,I still dont believe pump runs at 4000,until the somebody from Corsair confirm, why cant the pump get the wrong voltage due PCB design fault.

• Corsair Employee
The H80 and H100 pump speed will run at around 2200 RPM. The H60 will run around 4000RPM on most motherboards. In reality it is running around 2000 RPM's. Some motherboards just read it as 4000.

The H80 and H100 pump speed will run at around 2200 RPM. The H60 will run around 4000RPM on most motherboards. In reality it is running around 2000 RPM's. Some motherboards just read it as 4000.

Thank you for your candor, RAM GUY. I've known the H60's pump runs at the same speed as the others for a long time now, IMO that was never really a question.

IMO, and given what I have seen in this forum over the eight months I've been posting here, most boards show the H60's pump speed as ~4200 RPM. I use two H60's on two different boards (same manufacture), and the reported pump speed has been 100% consistent on both of them, in the ~4200 RPM range. Both boards are $200+ at retail, so not cheap, shoddy boards. Every fan I have used with (connected to) these boards has consistently displayed speeds that are in agreement with their speed specs.

IMO, several factors resulted in the pump speed of these coolers becoming an issue to some users. These coolers allow the users to monitor pump speed, yet pump speed is not stated in their specs. Corsair support personnel noticed some users were connecting H60's to Chassis fan headers that were not providing 12V to the pump, since those users were experiencing poor cooling performance. How could that be checked quickly and easily? What is your pump speed reading? Forum members, including myself, noticed this and used it as a reference. That has worked fine for me and others as well.

Unfortunately, some people over-analyze and find fault wherever they can. No good deed goes unpunished...

Archived