Corsair Community

TX650 V2 - Loud fan

SirHaxalot

I have already replaced my unit once, so now I'm wondering, am I extremely unlucky or are the "combines up to 85% energy-efficiency, with low noise" part of your product description greatly exaggerated? Because quite frankly, this is the loudest power supply I've had since a long time ago, when my computer was powered by a Q-tec PSU with dual 80mm fans without speed control.

I've tried to run the system with only my MB, CPU, Memory and SSD connected, which should under no circumstances consume more than 300W, which is the limit when the fan is supposed to speed up, according to the graph on the box.

Is there anything I can do since I've already traded it in once? I'm considering trying to trade it in with the store for money and then simply buy another brand.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but it is not billed as a quiet PSU it is not one of the loudest units but at about 300-350 watts the noise should be able 23-26 Db, if you have an I-phone you can use an Db level app to see how loud it is.

I think it's definately much louder than it should be. It's not a long time ago since I bould a computer that featured a TX750 V2, and that one was nice and quiet. I've also tried the paperclip test and that doesn't affect the sound level so it's not because my system is putting up with too much load.

• 2 months later...
I am sorry but it is not billed as a quiet PSU it is not one of the loudest units but at about 300-350 watts the noise should be able 23-26 Db, if you have an I-phone you can use an Db level app to see how loud it is.

Hope you don't mind me posting in an old thread, but I felt the urge to add to it. I've posted before about the fan noise in the TX650 V2, and there are other threads about it too.

I am amazed at what I quoted from RAM GUY, as the unit IS billed as a quiet PSU. One of it's features is:

"An ultra-quiet, 140mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow with exceptionally low noise levels by varying fan speed in response to temperature".

Neither is the fan quiet, nor does it SEEM to vary speed in response to temperature. If it does, then it's always at the slowest for my setup and even that is very loud.

RAM GUY - As you have written about this in other threads too, you will be very aware that RMA'ing the PSU is a waste of everyone's time and money, so you should not still be suggesting it to customers. In most cases it is not faulty at all - It's simply a poorly designed power supply. I love the build quality very much, it's top class, but the design of the fan and/or circuitry controlling the fan is clearly not as it should be.

If Corsair would be up front about this and stop messing people around, they wouldn't lose customers but would actually gain a lot of respect from them instead. All you need to do is admit that the fan noise is a real problem, have engineers look at a way to resolve it, then when people complain (I bet not many actually bother to), offer to swap old units for a new that has been modified by your engineers. I bet the amount of money you'd lose doing that would be a hell of a lot less than the amount you'll lose from unhappy customers, like myself, who will never again trust Corsair's advertising.

I've had my PSU too long now to be able to return it for a refund, and obviously as it isn't faulty I won't exchange it for another of the same model. I'm going to look at the possibility of changing the fan myself - Although that might not help as the fan controller is likely part of the problem.

My advice to others is not to bother returning the PSU for a replacement, but only to get your money back if you can, so you can choose an alternative product.

• Corsair Employee

Zackarydoo,

I understand and I have mentioned this to the Product Manager but my interpretation of that statement is that because we are using a 140MM Fan rather than 120MM it is more quiet.

The fan is Thermal and Current controlled so it should not run at full speed all the time and help to keep the environment more quiet than it would be using a normal fan at full speed.

If you feel that your PSU FAN is out of spec there is no other choice but to request an RMA and we can try and replace it. So I am at a loss with your statement that we are not stating something that should be stated?

Zackarydoo,

I understand and I have mentioned this to the Product Manager but my interpretation of that statement is that because we are using a 140MM Fan rather than 120MM it is more quiet.

The fan is Thermal and Current controlled so it should not run at full speed all the time and help to keep the environment more quiet than it would be using a normal fan at full speed.

If you feel that your PSU FAN is out of spec there is no other choice but to request an RMA and we can try and replace it. So I am at a loss with your statement that we are not stating something that should be stated?

Thank you for your response RAM GUY.

Well any 140mm fan is going to be quieter than a 120mm fan of identical specification when moving the same amount of air. This doesn't equate to the PSU being "Ultra Quiet" though, as so many users have pointed out. It seems to be running too fast all the time, but I can't really say the reason for sure as I am not an expert on fans of the controlling method the TX650 uses. It is possible the fan itself is simply a noisy fan at low speeds, and an alternative fan at the fan controller's minimum, would be quieter.

All I meant by my statement was that there is clearly a problem with these power supplies as they do not fall under the advertised category of "ultra quiet" in the view of many people in this and other forums who have complained. Of course it is still just a matter of opinion and without using decibel meters, who's to say what "ultra quiet" really means? I do very much doubt the noise graph you publish though as being accurate.

Maybe there was a faulty batch, I suppose we'll never know. Thank you for the suggestion that I RMA my power supply, but I assumed I must be too late to do that as it is a year old. I also cannot go without my computer for the time that would take. I would love to know the make and model of the fan that's fitted in these units, to save me taking mine apart first to find it. Any chance you could let me know that please, so I can find an alternative to try?

Anyway I appreciate your response.

• Corsair Employee

Zackarydoo,

I cant say that I do not agree with you; how you have interpenetrated that statement on our site and why I stated that I was going to speak with the PM. But I cant comment on it further till the PM has a chance to comment.

However, I understand what you are saying and you may or may not be taking some other things into consideration. And that would be the fact that this model is very popular mostly because of its price point and the quality we carry in general. But also because of that and the fact this is a support form you are bound to see more than one person with the same issue. And we are selling tens of thousands of PSU's every month and in fact the return rate is quite low on this model less than 1% ATM so while I don't disagree that you have had an issue it is not as drastic of an issue as it may seem to you.

So here is my suggestion but first have we replaced your PSU before and you still have that issue? If so what was the case or RMA# and I will be happy to personally help you.

If you have not done an RMA with us please use the link on the left and let me know the case number as I would like to see the unit that you have. It will help us to identify the problem and help to get it corrected.

Archived