Corsair Community

Corsair Value Select DDR400 on Asus P4R800-VM

eGadget

My questions:.:rolleyes: 1. Will a pair of CORSAIR VALUE SELECT DDR400 PC3200 256MB (CAS2.5 VS256MB400) will work flawlessly on the Asus P4R800-VM (ATi Radeon IGP9100 P4 chipset)? 2. Will I get any benefit from Dual Channel performance, if any? Little story:.:!oops: I have used some cheap RAM on my P4R800-VM for a new computer. Except one piece of Hynix DDR266 256Mb RAM (single sided), the rest failed either during Windows XP Pro installation and/or updating drivers later in Windows. First, I bought a pair of Infineon-chipped DDR400 256Mb (OEM, single side). After putting them into the 2 slots and install a Celeron 2.6Ghz and a ATA100 hard drive, I booted up the computer using my Windows XP CD and started to install. The setup failed a few times before a complete Windows installation. When I was in Windows, I tried to update the drivers with the Asus CD for sound, lan, and video. I got pop-up window about memory error message or the system just restart or shut down. I couldn't get into the Windows again. Then I switched to use a pair of Hynix chipped DDR400 256Mb RAM (single side). Windows XP setup ran okay without a problem and drivers were updated successfully. But after a few days, I started getting error message about memory problem in blue screen. Now, I am running a piece of Hynix DDR266 256Mb RAM installed in DIMM 1. The computer runs okay without blue screen for now. I have tried to swap in this piece of RAM in order to find out before switching from Infineon to Hynix DDR400. I'm quite sure that the motherboard likes the DDR266 RAM more than any DDR400 I have tried. However, I would like to spend more on a pair of Corsair DDR400. Hopefully, they will work well with my Asus P4R800-VM. :brick: Before I go out to buy the Corsair, I hope I can find some people who can help me answer the questions above. I know Corsair is better in quality and performance than many generic or even brand-name RAM. Hopefully, the Corsair Value Select will solve the problem forever. :roll: If a solution for this kind of problem has been posted before, *please* reply with a link. Thank you. Thank you for reading.:greengrin

• Corsair Employee
Sorry for the late reply, we have had a few out sick with the flue. I have tested the reference MB from ATI with out problems but we have not tested this model as of yet. ASUS has a great bios team and R&D so I would not worry with that MB.

Hello, RAM Guy. Thank you for your post. I hope you guys will recover over the weekend. :D: Yes. I believe that Asus gives good support by updating the BIOS constantly. Thank you for the affirmative information. I will definitely come here for most helpful Corsair info in the future. I may buy the Value Select 256Mb x 2 from a local store.

• Corsair Employee
I am sure we will, I hope we will, we had better. LOL! I have run them on many MB's, and are a great budget module. Not as good as our XMS, but they come with our warranty so if you should have a problem we will be happy to help.

Archived