Corsair Community

AX1200 problems (I think)

Pilot26

Hey guys, I built a new system a couple months ago and I have been having problems ever since. (It seems like) The first problem I noticed was that my system would restart twice during the boot process. Comes to find out that this may just be a P67 FTW issue from what I read on the EVGA forum. But, this seems like it is getting worse. Now, when I boot my system up from a cold boot state it will reset about 6-7 times before it will stay stable. (Sometimes making it into windows) Other times it will restart and never turn back on. (the blue and amber light stay on but the system will not restart.) So, I have to shut off my power strip for a couple minutes and then turn the computer back on. The second problem I seem to be having started when I got my second graphics card to run SLI. I get random freezing in all my games with a loud buzzing sound coming out of my speakers. (Which leads to a hard restart) Also, I am getting random restarts over night. ( This has actually just started recently.) After these hard restarts and freezing, I go into the Event Manager and see that the Error is logged as WMI Event ID 10. I am at a complete loss. Could this even be a power supply issue???

These are the things that I have tried

-Resetting the bios, switching the bios, and also running the newest bios.

-I did the paperclip test on the PSU

-Ran each card by themselves and they ran fine

-New video drivers

-Have not tested memory yet

-running at stock settings (No OC)

-Researched Event ID 10 and it seems like it could be a number of things

I really wish that was an option, I recently just moved and do not have any relatives close by that can help. I have talked to EVGA about this and they seem to think it is a power supply issue. This is kind of why I am a little confused. I thought it may be a MB or video card issue because the power supply stays stable once the computer is finally booted up from a cold state. On some days, I can game for hours and watch movies with no issue at all. But, that is very rare.

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest that we try and replace the PSU under RMA but if the problem continues I would suggest checking or replacing the MB. Please use the link on the left to request an RMA and we can try and replace it.

• 1 month later...

It seems like your system maybe didn't start acting up immediately, but sometime soon after completion. A couple of days, week, or whatever.

The continuous rebooting resembles a problem Windows XP had with the Blaster worm a few years ago. It attacked the Master Boot Record, if I remember correctly. Once infected, it caused continuous rebooting, without the computer ever reaching the point where any Windows stuff was displayed onscreen.

I don't know whether Blaster (or a look-alike) affects W-7, but it's likely. Look at the Microsoft site for details, and how to eliminate it.

Do you have an ORIGINAL W-7 installation disk? And a spare hard drive you can format and install a new copy of W-7?

If "yes" to both questions, look at EVGA's site to see how to reinstall the m/b firmware. That should completely override whatever is there, including any boot sector virus/worm/etc. Then format and install W-7 on the spare drive, and run it a few days.

If your original installation was registered, don't register the replacement, at least not until you've eliminated the bootup problem(s).

If that cures the problem, it probably eliminates hardware as the source.

If it doesn't, beg, borrow, or steal another p/s and try it. Your system sounds hefty, so don't use anything less than - as a guess - 800 W. Look online for a calculator to see how big. Don't load it beyond 75% to keep from overstressing anything. Use only one of anything - RAM stick, video card, monitor, hard drive, optical drive, etc.

Don't hook up a printer, and don't install drivers.

Don't overclock, and be sure everything is set to stock speeds.

Keep everything simple. There are several possible causes and the fewer complications the better.

If - and when - you get past the continuous rebooting, I'd suggest one more thing before you go back to any W-7 setup. Try Linux.

With Linux, there are no 1,000,001 viruses, etc. waiting to grab you.

It can run off the (live) CD/DVD, without making any permanent change to anything in your system, and when you shut it off it's gone completely.

I have never tried one, but several can be had on flash drives, and probably have the ability to run live as well, without affecting anything permanently.

As to which version (called distro by the Linux guys), I'd recommend Ubuntu, or Mint. Both have GUI, and are not complicated to use, despite what a clown with PCMagazine or PCWorld recently reported. Both are free - well OK it has to be downloaded and burned to a CD, or installed on a flash drive. But it beats paying $300 for Windows Pro anything.

Don't try dual booting anything - Linux, Windows, or whatever. Hard drives are cheap, and nothing is worth a hassle when you're having problems.

Somehow, my guess is that if hardware is at fault, the m/b is first, and the p/s not second but somewhere beyond that.

Hope this helps, and best wishes.

Archived