Corsair Community

Rear HDMI audio is 2-Channel only??

Gelo

This issue is only for using my home theater. My monitor itself uses display port and does not have speakers.

When I plug in my Corsair One Pro to my 5.1 surround A/V equipment using HDMI on the rear port, under Sound/Windows Playback Devices, the enabled "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" only has 2-Channel (stereo) available for "Configure" and "Supported Formats".

When I use the front HDMI port next to the power button, the audio endpoint device name slightly changes and full 8 Channel audio now works. It detects a different EDID, maybe, even though it is the same hardware but using a different port? This is plugged into the exact same A/V device and using the same HDMI cable.

I noticed in the "NVIDIA Control Panel" under "Set up digital audio" when no HDMI is plugged in, the connectors show 3 display port and only 1 HDMI port. Then, when you plug into the rear HDMI port the first Display Port entry changes labels in the NVIDIA Control Panel to HDMI. Still, the audio is limited to 2-channel and no way I have found to change it to the full 8-channel which I know is supported since it works on the front HDMI port.

So, did Corsair do some kind of DP header to HDMI port converter internally but that messes up the EDID/audio recognition for that rear HDMI port? Is it a hardware or driver limitation of the rear HDMI port that can only do 2-channel audio? I'd rather not use my front port to get a direct connection to my A/V equipment to work with full channel audio.

Summary: The rear and front HDMI connectors should behave the same for audio output on the Corsair One Pro, but they don't.

Would getting an DP to HDMI external adapter on a different rear port work?

Thanks.

I would also appreciate some clarity around the video outputs.

The video card is a mostly standard nvidia unit, which means it has 3 display ports and a hdmi port. I haven't managed to find output specifications for the ports on the ONE.

Presumably the 2 display ports on the back are just male to female cables and the specs will be the same as normal DP1.4. Is this the correct?

Presumably, one of the HDMI ports is just a male to female hdmi and the specs will be the same. It sounds like this might be the front HDMI. Is this correct?

And the other HDMI, coming from the 3rd DP1.4 goes to the back (maybe?) and has what output capability? Is it just a male DP to HDMI female cable or is there some other trickery going on?

Im interested as Id like to buy one and setup triple 1080P monitors at a minimum of 144Hz.

Depending on what the actual configuration is, what options are there (if required) to achieve different goals, whether it be 8 channel audio to the rear for Gelo, or regaining a 3rd DP at the rear for me?

• 4 weeks later...

But what about the rear displayports? I bought an active displayport 1.4 to hdmi 2.0 adapter that states it can handle 7.1 audio and they still register as stereo only. Both displayports show stereo only as well as the rear hdmi (which is also displayport) as you stated. I thought displayport could reproduce multi-channel sound.

What I need is to connect my One Pro to my home theater receiver and get multi-channel sound and the only way that seems to work is having an HDMI cable connected to the front HDMI port. I am glad that it works but definitely takes away from the aesthetic. Plus, as it was advertised that the front connections could be used for VR, I was planned on using them for that eventually but didn't want to connect and disconnect all the time.

Am I missing something? Or are others getting different results with the displayports and audio? Should I use a passive DP->HDMI adapter instead? Again, the active adapter says it supports 7.1 high resolution audio transmission.

Archived