Corsair Community

H100 - Weird Pump Noise

ichow23

I just installed the H100 two nights ago--gave me good temps and everything on my i5 2500k, but the problem was that the pump is giving off this non-stop "ticking motor" sound. It goes away when I lay my HAF 932 case horizontally, but whenever the case is standing it its proper vertical position, the noise comes back--pretty annoying in my opinion.

I have tried to tilt/shake the case and so on to try to fix the issue but it hasn't quite worked out. I have also made sure that the CPU mounting screws were on tight. My last resort is to remove the pump, re-do the TIM and reseat it again or even remove the rad and give it a little *shaky* *shaky*. Maybe I just need to give it time?

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want to have to RMA this bad boy if I don't need to...

• Corsair Employee
What you are describing sounds like there is some air trapped in the pump and may be nothing to worry about it should dissipate over the next few days but moving the system on its side for an hour or so should help clear that up.

• 3 months later...

I got my H100 yesterday and i installed it with no problems, but when i start my Pc i hear this weird sound and air in the Pump sums the sound up.

How do i solve this Problem because i really like the Crosair make/brand but this is a real disappointment to me because this is a brand new H100 :[pouts:

• Corsair Employee
I would try laying down the case on its back and see if the noise goes away, if it does then keep it in that position for about about 1/2hr and stand it back up and see if the noise goes away. Also, try gently tapping the pump and see if it helps.

• 4 weeks later...
I had same problem happening to me after i moved the pc and had to 'flip it'. When i turned it back on the pump was making this very audible annoying noise. I looked around in the web and saw this thread. i proceeded to gently tap tap the H100's pump/waterblock a few time and the noise went away instantly! back to quiet operation thanks for the tip.

Nevermind... tapping the pump gently did made the whining noise go away but it only lasted like 5mins, then it came back, i tapped it again, came back in 2mins, tapped, came back in 10 seconds....

im really dissapointed. The whining noise is pretty loud and annoying i just might return this unit because i dont see it going away, sucks ive had this h100 for like 3 days only.....

• 2 weeks later...
Nevermind... tapping the pump gently did made the whining noise go away but it only lasted like 5mins, then it came back, i tapped it again, came back in 2mins, tapped, came back in 10 seconds....

im really dissapointed. The whining noise is pretty loud and annoying i just might return this unit because i dont see it going away, sucks ive had this h100 for like 3 days only.....

i had a corsair h100...and was getting the incessant air ticking noise. i laid the case on its side, and the noise went away, but every time i put the case upright it came back.

i spoke with corsair support and they recommended a replacement. i just got the replacement today and got it installed with no problems. as soon as i turned it on it was quiet as can be and i was super happy

after about 30 min...the dreaded noise started. i have the case standing straight up now, and i'm having similar issues as the above poster...if i tap the pump, the noise goes away, but a min or so later it comes back.

i'm gonna give it a day or two and see if the problem works itself out

i really love the pump...but high disappointed that this seems to be such a huge problem with no solution...

I would try laying down the case on its back and see if the noise goes away, if it does then keep it in that position for about about 1/2hr and stand it back up and see if the noise goes away. Also, try gently tapping the pump and see if it helps.

How about Corsair publishing a rate of screaming pumps. Sure seems like a lot of complaints have found this forum.

What manufacture in the world would do something like that, even if they had that kind of information. The reaction by consumers would be similar to that people now have when seeing commercials for pharmaceuticals on TV (in the US at least) that now must include all the possible side effects of a medication. Many assume they will experience all of them, and avoid the product.

Would you fill out an employment application with information like, "I'll be hungover on Mondays, and my work ethic on Fridays will be terrible. I tend to call in sick when I'm really not sick, and will occasionally steal some of your products".

IMO, your idea implies that a manufacture intends to sell a faulty product, which I highly doubt. Also, that a products problem rate would be a constant, and would occur regardless of the quality of it's parts and manufacture.

After leaving my PC lying down after a bit of recabling and a shift at work i turned on my PC a few days ago to the horrible sound of the dreaded whiny pump. I've left it for a few days in the hope it will go away but it's doing my head in. Seeing as i have a socket 2011 cpu and it never came with a stock fan a RMA and the downtime following it is a hard pill to swallow. I really hope Corsair just acknowledge there is a problem here. I have everything Corsair due to there apparent build quality but i will think again before buying a water cooling solution again.

I think in this instance i will be jumping ship to the Noctua DH14 and just return the cooler for a refund if the noise doesn't stop soon. :(:

After leaving my PC lying down after a bit of recabling and a shift at work i turned on my PC a few days ago to the horrible sound of the dreaded whiny pump. I've left it for a few days in the hope it will go away but it's doing my head in. Seeing as i have a socket 2011 cpu and it never came with a stock fan a RMA and the downtime following it is a hard pill to swallow. I really hope Corsair just acknowledge there is a problem here. I have everything Corsair due to there apparent build quality but i will think again before buying a water cooling solution again.

left my computer on its side for several days...just stood it up again and within 30 seconds the loud noise started again...really sad that this is still happening. gonna email corsair support and look into getting a different brand of cooler

Corsair H100 here in Hong Kong is 850HKD = 109usd

I purchased my H100 last December 16 2011, after installing I immediately heard the hard disk like sound from the pump but it is low, then came January 19 2012, I tried to press the fan speed control in the middle and check if it is still in good running condition and then all of the sudden fan dies and the light from the LED's inside does not work anymore.

I quickly disassembled my H100 and returned to stock fan so I can check the unit safely unattached to my CPU. It does not light up and no fans working in any slots but pump is working.

(jan 23 2012)Then I returned it to the shop for a quick replacement here in Hong Kong China, but they said I need to add a some money so I can have an immediate replacement,(added 200hkd more = 25usd) explaining to me that it would take around 2-3weeks waiting time. I payed just not to be annoyed by the situation. I told the shop to test the new unit and so it is functional and i cannot hear the loud noise in the pump.

Then when I got home and attached it again and boom as soon as I switch on the computer I heard a very very loud noise from the pump, NOW its like a hard disk sound that is louder than my electric fan on high speed. I tried tilting it then sounds disappears then comeback again when i return my pc on an upright position. geeezzz really annoying

I cannot believe that I will return this product again to the shop, but I think if I return this again they will no longer entertain me. Shops here in Hong Kong only wants to sell and earn money and no good service.

I am also afraid of the cost of sending the unit for RMA to Corsair.

CORSAIR what do you think is your decision? I recommended Corsair to 3 of my friends ans they bought 3 H80, and they also sounds like a hard disk drive. sigh... I am disappointed to Corsair and ashamed to my friends.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry for the inconvenience. I would suggest that you submit an RMA and let us replace it for you. We can discuss your options via web support. Just post your case # as soon that you get one and I will personally look into it and make sure it'll be taken care of.

Archived