Corsair Community

LED Controller - Mixing Fan Types (HD, LL, ML)

marcusone

I have successfully mixed fan types, only issue is, the number of LEDs is different.

I have 3 HD fans and 1 LL. So I added them as HD, HD, HD, (HD, HD).

the last (HD, HD) is the LL fan, and works fine as 2 HD's.

Where can we suggest/push Corsair to support different Fans, or LED strips on a single Channel? Its just a different number of LEDs on each product, so should be a fairly simple task.

Only time it would become an issue, is if they changed the LED type on a product. So far they are all WS2812B i believe, as I've connected my own strip of WS2812B to the Commander Pro and added "Corsair Devices" of various types to determine LED count and the HD, LL, ML has worked.

It should be noted sequential effects wont work correctly though

You can also run more than 4 Pro Lighting strips per channel this way... not officially recommended or supported though

but this is all very short term while waiting for the new software to land.. expecting big changes and much more control...

• Corsair Employee
I have successfully mixed fan types, only issue is, the number of LEDs is different.

I have 3 HD fans and 1 LL. So I added them as HD, HD, HD, (HD, HD).

the last (HD, HD) is the LL fan, and works fine as 2 HD's.

Where can we suggest/push Corsair to support different Fans, or LED strips on a single Channel? Its just a different number of LEDs on each product, so should be a fairly simple task.

Only time it would become an issue, is if they changed the LED type on a product. So far they are all WS2812B i believe, as I've connected my own strip of WS2812B to the Commander Pro and added "Corsair Devices" of various types to determine LED count and the HD, LL, ML has worked.

It's been requested and we're aware that this is functionality that folks want to see. It may seem simple, but there are other things that have to be taken into account when it comes down to determining priority.

Thanks for the feedback and for any future suggestions, the forum is a good place to throw suggestions/feedback at us since we keep a closer eye on what's going on here. :)

• 6 months later...

Hi Marcusone,

How's your experience been with the HD and LL fans mixed on your hub?

I'm about to mix 2x HD140's and 1x LL140 on my RGB hub, the 2 HD's are on channel 1 and 2 and will be in the front compartment of the case (TT Tower 900). The LL will be in channel 3 and in the rear compartment to replace a stock fan, I'm not too worried about synchronous effects on the LL as it won't be directly visible (just glow through the rear top of the case).

Thanks in advance for any observations and advice you have.

• 1 month later...

Another option for Corsair would be to make the fans a cheaper price.

The main barrier for people upgrading is the cost. I'm running 3 SP120s in the front, 2 LL140s in the top and another brand in the rear. Apart from the SPs all have been bought second-hand. $US 120 for a 3 pack of LL120 is WAY out there considering the manufacturing cost.

Even at half that price Corsair would be making hundreds of percent profit, and customers would be much more willing to buy 6 matching fans for their builds.

Archived