Corsair Community

Windows 7 x64 ramdomly freezes by adding 4GB memory, runs fine on 2GB

Citizen88

Hello everybody,

I recently bought two 2GB memory kits (4GB in totall) from Corsair to upgrade my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard.

The system is running on Windows 7 SP1 x64 version.

It runs fine with two new memory sticks, with 1GB pro slot.

It runs very unstable with four new memory sticks, also with 1GB pro slot; windows freezes or reboot suddenly with a blue screen with memory dump counter.

I bought two exactly the same memory packs from Corsair.

Click here to view the specification of the Corsair memory.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest not-beta version (version 1009).

Click here to view the specification of the ASUS motherboard.

I have added here some pictures to make clear what are the auto-configuration by running with 2GB in situation one and 4GB in the second situation

With these configuration windows shows in the menu right mouse button on my computer, that the total installed memory is 4GB, and 4 usable when 'DRAM over 4GB remapping' in BIOS is enabled, and shows '4GB installed but 3GB' usable when the 'DRAM over 4GB remapping is disabled'.

BIOS shows in both situations always 4GB installed and 4GB usable .

The tested memory configuration (latency) by Corsair is 3-3-3-8; 2.5 volt; PC-3200 (400MHz).

I have tested many things in BIOS, but with no success:

- adjusting the DDR voltage to 2.60 volt (the lowest option), under "advanced>jumperfree configuration".

- adjusting the memclock index value to 400 mhz; adjusting the CAS # latency (TLC) to 3; adjusting 1T/2T to 2T; enable/ disable S/W and H/W DRAM over 4GB remapping, all under "advanced>DRAM configuration".

I hope someone sort this problem out, so i can run the system perfectly with 4GB.

I think it has to be something with the recommended memory timing 3-3-3-8.

But i do not know where to adjust those significant numbers under "advanced>DRAM configuration" in BIOS.

Kind regards,

Richard Hofsté:

• Corsair Employee
With that MB when you fill all four Slots you may have to run the memory at DDR333 and I would set the memory Voltage to 2.75 Volts at Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and make sure that Command Rate is at 2T as well. But officially we do not suggest or support mixing memory like this.

Archived