Corsair Community

upgrading from 512x2 to 2g or 1.5g with mixed ram types

RossBoi

ok so i have 2 computers both have the same motherboard gigabyte GA-7N400 pro2 i had 1 gig (512x2) of twinx1024-3200llpt in both computers. my plan was to upgrade one of them to 2 gig and leave the other at 1g for the time being so i bought 1g (512x2) of twinx1024-3200c2pt installed it and when i boot it tells me i only have 1g , i read through the manual for my mb and low and behold despite having 4 slots i can only have max of 6 sides so 3 dimms of double sided , or 2 dims of double sided and 2 dims of single sided , i was about to send the ram back with the intention of buying a single 1g stick to get me to 2g but before being stupid and wasting my time and mony on restocking fees i thought i would read this board , i read lot of people asking about ways to upgrade to 2g from 1g(512x2) and the theme i keep seeing is throw away what you have and buy 2g(1gx2) , i also read that i cant mix a single 1g stick with my 512x2 so im a bit stuck , i payed around 300 bucks for the ram in each comp i have now so i dont really want to throw it away and spend 250 bucks for ram that is already outdated just to boost performance on one of my comps

so with a little thinking i thought i would try something , i took 1 stick of the 3200llpt from my main comp and put it in my second comp so i have 1.5 in that one all 3200llpt , i then took the 2x512 i just bought and put it in this comp and moved the single 512 stick to dimm 2 both comps boot ok , and they both say they recognize 1.5 gig , but i havent played any games on em yet to see if i notice any performance differance and i havent run them long to see if they are stable , my question is this.... is what i did ok? can you split the matched pairs like that , and in this main comp where i have mixed the c2pt with the llpt is that ok where there are slight differences in latencys , i looked all over but i dont think the llpt is being made anymore so i got the c2pt because it seemed to be the best and closest to what i already had , i want to get your opinions before i leave em like this for too long not knowing if what i did is actualy working properly

if what i did isnt proper then what are my options fur upgrading

PS i have a new board on the way (gigabyte ga-k8u-939) as im planing to upgrade my main comp to a socket 939 amd athelon 64 3700+ san diego , this board also has 4 dimms but im thinking there the same setup as the board i have now where i can only have a max of 6 sides , i had planed on just puting 1g ddr400 ram in this one for the time till i can afford to buy some new ddr2 or whatever with a new board later down the road once prices come down some

sorry if i seem a bit ignorant i have built my own comps but i definately dont know everything there is to know about everything latencys is one of the things im not too knowledgable about

• Corsair Employee
You would be best to use 2 1.0 Gig modules with the new MB and leave the other systems as they are if they are stable. Or see if the reseller will let you send those back and just get one Twinx2048-3200C2 set of modules for best performance.

Archived