Corsair Community

will registered ram work?

g23

Hi all,

I am looking for an answer about registered and unbuffered ram. I have an Intel MB S875-WP1 which says it supports unbuffered ECC Memory. No word about registered ram. The memory chips I have here are CM72SD1024RLP-3200/S which seems to be registered ECC Dimms ... now will they work or

not??

I am really a bit confused as I have read somewhere in the internet there is no problem to use registered instead of unbuffered ram, after reading some threads in this forum I am not sure anymore if it is true. Also the RAM Guys PDF about registered and unbuffered ram didn't help me further in this point.

Would be very happy if someone could tell me or even let me know if I can damage my MB or RAM when I just try it out.

thanks

g23

While I don't know anything about the 875 chipset or Intel in general (AMD guy here), I do know that on the AMD side the only processor I know of to be able to use registered memory is the Athlon FX line, none of the 64's & XP's and/or semprons use it. So, in theory maybe its the same on the Intel side?

Better write an email to Intel themselves... I mean they SHOULD know right?

Archived