Corsair Community

HX850W malfunction problem

tinsuke

Hi folks,

I was a very happy Corsair user while I was happily gaming with my powerful GPU (the lack of power of the old PSU was the reason to buy a Corsair one) when at a lazy weekend I've decided to take the PC to the TV room and play at a 47" screen.

Problem is: the PC didn't powered on. At least at the beginning. Some time later (1h +-) it did powered on. In the meanwhile, I've done the paperclip test and the PSU wasn't working!

So, I've played the whole Saturday and today, when moving the PC back to my bedroom, the PSU isn't powering anymore, again! The PC was on just before... Hope it works again after a while...

So, is this a expected behavior? Like a protection feature against problems caused by changing the PSU to one wall plug to another or something like that?

BTW, I'm writing this from the cellphone... Painful!

I don't believe there is any problem with the power source, since the PSU worked fine after a while. But for a while (1h +-) it didn't even passed the paperclip test.

BTW, the PSU (and the whole computer) is now working fine at my bedroom. And, just to make sure no one misses this: it worked at the TV room as well, after an hour since I've tried to power it on...

Is this the first time this happened?

Toasted, the protection feature does not come on just from switching from one wall outlet to another. It will only show up if there is a fault or short circut.

Even going from 120 to 240v will not cause this. The power supplies are auto switching and will handle this without a hitch.

As far as the power cord goes ...C'mon. It came with the PSU , it's going to be correct.

@tinsuke,

If it failed the paperclip test i would either return it to your reseller or RMA it.

You could also check your connection where the cord plugs into the back of the PSU. If it wont start , give it a wiggle and see if that does not get the PS to start

Nope, it isn't.

It happened at another weekend: when I moved the PC to the TV room it worked flawlessly, but when moving back to the bedroom, this same thing happened: was only able to turn the PC on after an hour or so.

Weirdest thing is: there is a period of time when the PSU won't pass even the paperclip test but then, after a while, it comes back from the dead working just fine!

Hey @peanutz94, I'll try to reproduce it w/o the hassle of moving it. Guess I'll have to return to the reseller, there is no chance of RMA since I'm from Brazil and, AFAIK, mailing fee and taxes would lead me to think about buying a new one!

Thanks for the help so far, guys!

• 6 years later...

Archived