Corsair Community

Vengeance memory: not tested at SPD JEDEC timings?

linuxrules

Hi,

I'm using the Vengeance 1600 Mhz / CAS 8 / 2x4GB kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8) with a P7P55D-E PRO and a Core i7 870.

Everything works fine when I select the XMP profile (specified DRAM voltage is 1.5v and specified IMC voltage is 1.2v). However, as I experience some high temperature issues under heavy load (still using the stock cooler), I tried to test my temperatures with a lower frequency, specifically the JEDEC 1333 Mhz profile, and it gives BSOD as soon as I start an application in windows 7.

I checked the bios timings and they match the advertised timings, as well as the CPU-Z readings. However, I noticed that the IMC voltage (Integrated Memory Controller) was left to the standard 1.1v when using the JEDEC 1333 Mhz speed. Raising this voltage to 1.2v fixed the issue.

This brings me to my question: is the ram supposed to work at JEDEC specifications with standard IMC voltage?

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
The modules will work at the defaults without any issues. You can try lowering the IMC voltage when running 1600MHz to see if it helps with the temperatures. You may want to try testing each module individually.

None of the module work with the standard specs. Even at 1066Mhz, it needs at least 1.18V on the IMC to get stable (DRAM is always 1.5v, increasing it to 1.55/1.6/1.65 didn't change anything). Temps are still very high under load with this voltage (reaching 80°c in 1 minute under prime95, idle temp ~27°c, ambient 18°c).

I tested each module individually on 2 different slots, same behavior: it still needs a high IMC for 1066/1333 Mhz.

Any suggestions?

Archived