Corsair Community

Vengeance RGB Pro upgrade to higher speed or more memory?

ClockWork-Doc

After briefly researching the affect of RAM speed on gaming performance, I find there is a large amount conflicting information on this topic.

Currently i have 16Gb of 3600MHz Vengeance RGB pro and debating to either upgrade to 16Gb of 4000MHz or increase to 32Gb of 3600MHz. I have not been able to find an educated answer on the benefits of the price per speed. Can anyone elaborate?

The only person who can make a value judgment at cost vs performance is you, since monetary value is not a constant. As for performance, you probably need to specify what kind of tasks you use the machine for. Certainly there isn't going to be any gain for gaming, browsing, or other normal tasks. If you have some memory heavy professional tasks that are bandwidth limited, then that is merits more attention.

Obviously DRAM is quite expensive now and I am not sure when that is going to change. While the 4000/16GB kit would not give you anything of too much value in terms of performance, it would be a relatively inexpensive way to upgrade the cosmetic aspect. The 32GB kit offers more long term usage, but at twice the price. We have similar systems. I find my peak to be around 10 of 16GB, with most of it being VRAM induced. Still room on top for other things and I always have lots of programs running in the background. The key question is what happens with the next generations of GPUs. When are going to see a 16GB VRAM model? Probably not this next time. So unless you have it in the back of your mind to get another Ti and run SLI, you probably don't need 32GB yet. If you do a lot of texture heavy graphics work or use other programs than need the volume, then again that changes things. Most people who do use those type of programs already know and have already run into the ceiling.

I am pretty much in the same boat. I am sitting tight for now, although only because I could ratchet my prior 16GB 32000 MHz kit up to 3733 on the Code. Otherwise, I might have coughed up the smaller $$$ and grabbed a 16GB 4000 kit, just to make the new system feel new.

EDIT: I didn't recognize your memory model number straight away. You already have the Pro memory, so unless you are talking about sending the 3600 kit back to the vendor under your return options, I don't see a good reason to go for the 2x8 4000 kit. Very good chance what you have now will do the same.

Awesome, that's essentially what I was looking for. Basically I have heard that higher speed RAM can increase FPS minimums only, but I wasn't sure if it were true since there wasn't any legitimate tests run (or so I've seen). With that being said, I use my current build for gaming/Streaming and studying with some mild browsing. Nothing too crazy as you've described. I do have the option to return the set to the vendor for full price and purchase the 4000MHz model, however an extra $100 doesn't seem like it's worth it, especially if I'm possibly capable of achieving the same with my current model. Thank you for your input.

• Corsair Employee
Awesome, that's essentially what I was looking for. Basically I have heard that higher speed RAM can increase FPS minimums only, but I wasn't sure if it were true since there wasn't any legitimate tests run (or so I've seen). With that being said, I use my current build for gaming/Streaming and studying with some mild browsing. Nothing too crazy as you've described. I do have the option to return the set to the vendor for full price and purchase the 4000MHz model, however an extra $100 doesn't seem like it's worth it, especially if I'm possibly capable of achieving the same with my current model. Thank you for your input.

For gaming/streaming, I'd monitor memory usage. You may not need to either upgrade to higher frequency nor get more memory.

-Art

Archived