Corsair Community

1000HX - Squeeling sound...but only on power down

footclan

Hi

I bought a 1000TX but am having a problem with something since changing from my old PSU. My friend picked it up for me and I installed it. When I turned it off, I heard a fairly loud squeeling noise for about 3 seconds. I returned the PSU as I thought it was defective cause it was an open box (had scratches on it too).

Anway, I get the 2nd one and install it. When I turn it on, I heard the same noise but this time it's while the power is on, and the noise isn't stopping. I forgot to plug the PCI-E in to the vid card. Plug it in and the sound goes away.

Still, when I turn the PC off, I get that noise. It's really hard to tell where it's coming from. It might be the HDD, or the GPU. I didn't change anything else except the PSU and 1 fan is disconnect.

I'm confused as to what's actaully causing this problem and what I can do about it.

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
It sounds like the noise is the power alarm on your video card. With some systems the shutdown sequence can be off by a few milliseconds and its possible that your board is staying powered on milliseconds longer than your graphics card. You may want to update both your motherboard BIOS and your graphics drivers (use a driver cleaning program to make sure the old drivers are completely eliminated). Once the BIOS is updated I would clear the BIOS via the CLRTC jumper on the board, and then load setup defaults once you enter the BIOS for the first time.

I don't use the most up to date drivers because they give me problems or preference. My pc is oc'd and I'm afraid changing the Bios would give me problems as my board has alot of FSB holes in it and the bios I use is supposed to be stable for oc'ing.

I use 178.24 for my video card drivers. Anything higher and I run into alot of problems in left for dead (as do others) I should mention I have 2 video cards, and either of them in my pc, or both I get the noise.

I read a couple posts quickly while I was at work and I read that sometimes the noise problem goes away when the owner RMA's it and gets a new one. Since this is my 2nd, is this a possibility it could fix it? Anything else I can do?

It just doesn't make sense why the PSU is causing this. Everything was fine before I installed it.

• Corsair Employee
The power supply is very simple. It only has 2 "modes," on or off, and nothing else. The motherboard controls the PSU and tells it which state it should be in, and it tells the PSU when to cut off the power, it also distributes and regulates the voltage from the PSU to the rest of the system. Some combinations of video card, PSU, motherboard and BIOS can result in this problem. Usually from what we have seen, its mainly dependent on the motherboard and the BIOS revision. If possible you may want to test both the PSU and one of the video cards in a different system to see if the problem follows these components or if it stays with your motherboard.

• 3 weeks later...

Same sound made with my new Corsair 1000HX that was installed today. Have the 8800 GTX with the 780i Mobo and current driver for the card and mobo P-08 Bios. Both my other 850 watter and 1200 watter, none modular and none Corsair power supplies do not do this with the same Bios and GPU driver, so its a little conserning to me and others why this happens. Not all the Corsair 1000HX will do this and will want to wait for perhaps an answer from someone in the know

Now that I see others have this as well, I can rest better and not be too overly bothered by the very short screech from the video card when turning off the system. :[pouts:

Same sound made with my new Corsair 1000HX that was installed today. Have the 8800 GTX with the 780i Mobo and current driver for the card and mobo P-08 Bios. Both my other 850 watter and 1200 watter, none modular and none Corsair power supplies do not do this with the same Bios and GPU driver, so its a little conserning to me and others why this happens. Not all the Corsair 1000HX will do this and will want to wait for perhaps an answer from someone in the know

Now that I see others have this as well, I can rest better and not be too overly bothered by the very short screech from the video card when turning off the system. :[pouts:

Hey SR45, nice to see you around. :biggrin:

My apologies for not adding to the thread in a productive way

Hey SR45, nice to see you around. :biggrin:

My apologies for not adding to the thread in a productive way

Contrvlr, good to hear from you. Got a Corsair Modular P/S this time around and doing a make over with a Danger Den Torture Rack open case. Don't worry about not being productive with your reply, really don't think anything can be done about it. Sad that my other P/S don't have this issue, but I will never buy another none modular again. So much cleaner for the case.

See you around ;):

• 2 weeks later...
I recently purchased the 1000HX. I too had the same squeeling sound at boot down. when i installed the psu i used the hard wired cables to connect my 8800gtx then when i switch the cables for the loose ones that connect to the 2 blue connecter on the psu the squeeling sound went away

I recently purchased the 1000HX. I too had the same squeeling sound at boot down. when i installed the psu i used the hard wired cables to connect my 8800gtx then when i switch the cables for the loose ones that connect to the 2 blue connecter on the psu the squeeling sound went away

Will give that a try and thanks for the heads up cybernut1970

OK, tried the modular cables ( none fixed PCIe ) and all is well, no screeching sound at all and this now leaves me with either not using the internal fixed pcie cables defeating the purpose of modular or RMAing the thing and hope the new power supply does not have this issue.

Archived