Corsair Community

Vengeance DDR 3 2X4GB second time RMA! Failed in memtest.

bramabull100

Hello,

I currently have 16gb of Vengeance Ram in my computer (2X4GB + 2X4GB). I recently RMA a set of 2X4 GB and got back another set of 2X4 GB ram back from Corsair. Now everything ran fine just until recently where I got a bluescreen and decided to run memtest on both sets of rams (2X4). It turns out the memory that I just recently received from Corsair Showed up with 65000+ errors in memtest. I took out the ram that was faulty and everything is running fine again on my comp. The issue is I don't want to spend more money on shipping as I'm from Canada and wondering what I should do next. The memory is the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B. The original ticket number from the first RMA is 6078851.

Mixing memory can be totally hit and miss and possibly the root of your issues. Corsair doesn't recommend this practice for this very reason. Even two kits of the same exact part number can be incompatible with each other , and your trying to use two different sets at different capacities and densities.

I know you said you removed the one kit, but have you tested each kit individually? I would hate to see you go through another RMA if it isn't going to fix the underlying issue.

However, if it turns out it is bad Corsair will pay for shipping on all second RMA's. You'll just need to contact CS by phone and work that out with them though.

Thanks for the response. I have tested each kit individually and its the same set they have RMA already. All sticks are the same kind Vengeance and I know what you mean about mixing but I wasn't :). I might have to go that route just seems like a bit of a pain. I was hoping the issue would have been resolved the first time but I guess that's memory for you. Thanks for the response!

All sticks are the same kind Vengeance and I know what you mean about mixing but I wasn't :)

They may all be the same"kind" of Vengeance. But that is far from being the same memory. Unless all your memory came from one single tested package, it is mixing memory. Your kits are also different capacities with different version numbers which means they were made with two totally different chips.

I fear your going to RMA one kit and get the same results with a third when mixing these sets, which is a good possibility.

But if he is testing each stick individually and they are showing errors it's not a problem of mixing different kits.

He didn't . He tested each "kit" individually.

If all the sticks tested individually produced errors then it wouldn't be a memory issue anyway.

And yes, it could still be an issue with mixing memory.

Archived