Corsair Community

CPU resources?

Astral85

What causes iCUE to be quite hungry on idle CPU resources? Both the Corsair.Service and Cue.exe processes idle between 0.60-1% each. It doesn't sound like much but with an Intel Speedshift processor (Speedstep successor) this keeps the cores pinging at 4.0-4.7Ghz and averaging around 4.2Ghz. A couple of other processes add to that average but the two Corsair processes do have the highest idle resource usage.

This could just be nature of Intel Speedshift but I find it interesting that closing just a few processes that are using around 3-5% idle CPU resources is the difference between 70W, 2500Mhz and 110W 4300Mhz on the desktop.

Yeah +1 to this guy.

I'm seeing Corsair.Service.exe using 1-2% CPU pretty much all the time.

She's still in beta though, but I'd like to see CPU usage down to near 0 by the time she's fully done (unless there's some processing that actually needs to be done?)

I'm seeing this as well on 8700k/Z370. CUE usually consuming around 1.3% idle and cores keep jumping up to full boost and back down while idle.

As OP said this could just be the nature of Intel's core speed management, I am not sure but I thought it's worth mentioning.

I've determined the Corsair.Service and CUE.exe are responsible for a good 1800-2000Mhz continuous CPU frequency on top of the standard Windows background processes. If I terminate both services it cut's the idle down to 2500Mhz vs 3700-4000Mhz.

As far as I know Speedshift is designed to ping the cores up to high frequencies very quickly while remaining efficient but I'm not sure whether we're seeing the intended effect or something else. I wonder if apps themselves need to adapt to Speedshift? Hmm I will continue researching...

One thing to remember is that iCUE is a hardware monitoring program as well which usually requires some CPU resources. I would be interested to hear what other CPU work is required of iCUE.

Archived