Corsair Community

1024 TWINX PC3200 LL and NF7-S V2/K7NCR18D Pro II

pezboy

I've tested the memory using memtest86 on three mobos now with two different processors. Test 1: Leadtek K7NCR18D Pro II, XP 2800+, 1024mb TwinX= 9000 errors Test 2: Leadtek K7NCR18D Pro II, XP 2100, 1024mb TwinX= 9000 errors Test 3: Abit NF7-S V2, XP 2800+, 1 512mb module= 133 errors Test 4: Abit NF7-S V2, XP 2800+, other 512mb module= 9000 errors Test 5: Abit NF7-S V2, XP 2800+, generic 128mb PC2100= 0 errors Test 6: A7V8X-X, XP 2100, 1024mb TwinX= 0 errors I've run the test with both the FSB at 200 and 166 (default), same results. There were no errors when running on the asus board, but that uses the VIA KT400 chipset. I don't know what that means. I don't know about compatability issues with the Leadtek board, but they were supposed to have ironed out all the issues with revision 2 of the abit board. Should I rma the memory, or try another board or processor? I just got the Abit board today and can definitely exchange it with Newegg. Any other suggestions would also be helpful, especially id it means I don't have to mail anything away. I've read some other posts with similar problems. -I did raise voltage when overclocking the CPU. -I have not tried testing with raised DIMM voltage yet. -The XP 2100 FSB runs at 133 default, I think I ran it at 166 on the leadtek board. -I have tested them in DIMM slots 1&3 and 2&3. -Single module tests were in slot 1 Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure the memory Frequency ratio is set to 1-1 or 100% with each MB and run the test again. I think you will not get any errors. But please let me know! If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266. If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333 If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

Iran the test multiple times on both nforce boards with the FSB set to 200 (400) so it would run in sync with the memory. The FSB was set to 200 and the multiplier at 11 (2200 MHz). The XP 2800+ is only rated to run at 333 FSB (166 in the BIOS) so setting it to 400 is an overclock. I tried it both at 400 and 333 and received the same results. Should a I get a Barton core processor that is rated at FSB 400 and try it, or would that be a waste of money? I don't know if the one I'm testing is a T-bred or Palomino. I know I've heard the pallys don't overclock well and thought this might be the problem, that's why I backed it down to the default FSB speed. I'll try it again if you'd like, or if there's some other way to get them to run in sync.

WHOO! I upped the CPU voltage a tad to 1.825 and changed the DIMM voltage to 2.7. I also changed the memory timings from the default 2-3-2-5 the motherboard set it at, to 2-3-2-6 which is what it is specified at. Ran the test and here's the breakdown: test 1: 0 test 2: 0 test 3: 3 errors at the same address test 4: 17 errors test 5: 0 test 6: 0 test 7: 0 So it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than 9000! I think it's going to be slightly unstable because I [I]must[/I] overclock the CPU to get them to run in sync. I'll see how the system runs and then decide if I want to upgrade the processor. Thanks bunches! [I]All was good in the land of pez. The system ran stable and the pezants rejoiced.[/I]

• Corsair Employee
That sounds like the CPU is topping out, but I would try this to test the modules. CPU Freq: 166 MHz Memory Freq: 100% DRAM Clock: 333 MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T Dim Voltage: 2.7 Volts Then please test with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] if you get errors please test the modules one at a time and let’s make sure one is not failing.

yeah, I tried that, I can't get anything lower than about 20 errors with the FSB @ 200. I'm happy with it now though, I played UT2k4 demo for two hours before it crashed to desktop. It used to be about 20 min, if that. I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade the processor anyway. Thanks again.

Archived