Corsair Community

[Asus P5E] Using 4 sticks of Ram to get 8GB

Oet

I'm wanting to upgrade to 2GB modules and thinking about buying 2 sets of Twin2x4096-6400C4DHX.

I've read here and there, that having 4 modules of Ram puts an extra strain on the chipset and I'm thinking this may have an effect on the OC-capabilities of the Chipset/Processor.

I now have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe with 4 sticks of Ram. In the past (with 2 sticks and a dualcore), I was able to do 400FSB, but now I'm stopped at 350 (CPU is tested to do 400FSB easy on another board). Everything above that starts to be unstable (no matter what I do with voltages and timings).

I've hadn't had the time to test with only 2 sticks, but I'm going to do that soon (when I have some spare time that is).

My question is: Will 4 modules have an averse effect on the OC-capabilities of the motherboard/CPU? Otherwise I might be better of just buying 1 set of Twin2x4096-6400C4DHX and leave it at that.

Thanks for your advice

Edit:

PS: I already know about the chipset limitation that limits the RAM at 667Mhz for 4sticks on this board. Thats why I'm going to buy me an Asus P5E board. Hoping this board doesn't have this limitation.

So this question really is only for the P5E board, not the P5W DH Deluxe.

A few people say that populating all four banks will limit OCability, and may require you to run at lower speeds.

I know nothing about the P5e, but I have a Maximus Formula, running 2 pairs of TWIN2x4096-8500 (8 Gigs) with no problems at 1066, or even 1111.

But would it limit the Chipset in max capable speed? RamGuy?

Cause, I would maybe not buy 2 sets if it would stop me from getting a decent OC.

Otherwise, on the site it doesn't say if 2 sets is possible, but I presume it is?

I just pulled out 2 sticks of Ram and I still can't clock any higher than I could before. It looks exactly the same, so it looks like I'm currently limited by something else (Quadcore being to much strain on the chipset or maybe running Crossfire puts even more strain on it..) Hard to say.

But anyway, I ordered one kit of 2 2GB CL4 PC6400 modules :) Together with a P5E board, will see how that runs :D

I now have:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe (Bios 2206)

Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR stepping

4x 1GB HyperX PC6400 CL4

Bios settings:

FSB: 345Mhz

Memory bus: 860Mhz

PCI clock: 33mhz

PCIe clock: 100mhz

vMemory: 2,3v

vCore: Auto

Memory timings:

4-4-4-12

tRC (CPU-Z): 20

Every thing else is controlled by the board.

Going to 350Mhz FSB makes my chipset unstable, even running at lower divider for memory speeds and lower/auto timing settings: Result is running memtest for hours will result in some errors after 4 hours or so (Windows version)

Raising vCore doesn't help.

I've been able to do 3,6Ghz (400Mhz FSB) on this board with 1:1 divider with a E6600 (dual core) processor, but with this Q6600 the chipset doesn't seem to like it. I bought this CPU from somebody who had it running at 3,6Ghz for a long time, rockstable. If I try 400Mhz FSB using exactly the same settings as before I can't even get windows to boot correctly. Not even when putting every voltage setting at it's max.

Btw: I have to set some more voltage on the NB otherwise it won't POST at all.

Seems to me the Q6600 puts a lot more strain on the Chipset and that is why I can't run FSB 400 anymore, but thats only my thought, I'm no expert, but I did put a _LOT_ of time in testing every single thing I could come up with or find on the Internet.

Appreciate your help!:):

• 2 weeks later...

To get back at this, because I said to myself I would:

Got it all running now, went ahead and ordered one kit of the 2x2GB PC6400 Corsair DHX CL4 modules. Put it together with one of the 2x1GB PC6400 Kingston HyperX CL4 modules and I now have 6GB working like a charm. 400Mhz FSB is working like a train and I'm very very happy :D::D:

In the future I'll be upgrading to 8GB I think, first I have to get my Raid array online, but for now I'm very happy with the Corsair kit, and the next kit will probably be the same ;)

Thanks for all your help.

Btw: I've put the modules on 800mhz (1:1), 4-4-4-12, 2.06v rest on auto on this board. If you have any recommendations whatsoever about this, I'd be happy to hear them :D

Btw: I've put the modules on 800mhz (1:1), 4-4-4-12, 2.06v rest on auto on this board. If you have any recommendations whatsoever about this, I'd be happy to hear them :D

Please change your system specs to reflect the changes made. Then we can give you some advice if any is needed. If you move to a four DRAM slot population, then you will very likely need to drop the DRAM speed and thus the Overclock. I would move to Twin2X4096-6400C4 if you want 4GB. Then you can keep the DRAM speed and the overclock when you move to 4GB.

Please change your system specs to reflect the changes made. Then we can give you some advice if any is needed. If you move to a four DRAM slot population, then you will very likely need to drop the DRAM speed and thus the Overclock. I would move to Twin2X4096-6400C4 if you want 4GB. Then you can keep the DRAM speed and the overclock when you move to 4GB.

Updated info :)

I've allready got one set of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX :) running @800mhz 4-4-4-12 and one set of 2x1GB all together on the same motherboard, running fine :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived