Corsair Community

GPU or CPU Pump noise

doublefish67

Hi

As known for Corsair One - I have also an unexpected noise (high pitched - 30dB) when my system is idle. It's either coming from one of the two pumps or it's the PSU. Is the rpm of the pumps always that high? the numbers hardly changes. what is the source of this high pitched sound?

corsair-link.thumb.png.58c359f9c4673a99b0f2b12ed8a7a100.png

• Corsair Employee
Hi

As known for Corsair One - I have also an unexpected noise (high pitched - 30dB) when my system is idle. It's either coming from one of the two pumps or it's the PSU. Is the rpm of the pumps always that high? the numbers hardly changes. what is the source of this high pitched sound?

doesn't seem like there's anything out of the ordinary. The pump will produce a whirling sound to some degree but it shouldn't be to the point where you need cover your ears. I know you said there's already a video representing your experience, but since noise level is a subjective topic, it would help tremendously if you can provide a recording of your own.

Hello, I’m having the same issue, my c1 is noisy, around 41 dB when idle, the case fan rpm is low, but the gpu pump is always at max, is there something happening with my system?, i’ve Been trying to contact Corsair support but I don’t have the product number of my unit so I’m really worried about something happening with my system.

• Corsair Employee
Pretty hard to record it with an galaxy s7...don't know how good the mic is..but you can hear the case fan almost silent, but in the back this whistling sound..which varies when turning the head. this sound gets so annoying, that it feels like noise..

I have listened to your recording, multiple times at that. I have my headset volume at 100% and honestly, with all due respect I cannot agree that it's loud. It could be that your ambient is extremely quiet, therefore you're noticing this more consciously.

Is the system idling during the recording btw?

• Corsair Employee
Hello, I’m having the same issue, my c1 is noisy, around 41 dB when idle, the case fan rpm is low, but the gpu pump is always at max, is there something happening with my system?, i’ve Been trying to contact Corsair support but I don’t have the product number of my unit so I’m really worried about something happening with my system.

Could you show me a screenshot of CLINK?

The screenshot is in the first post. well as I said.. the recording is poor. I am in a quite room and that's why I bought the corsair one...because I needed a silent pc for work. I'm used to fan noise, but that high pitch is anoying and much louder in reality...i guess it's also a problem of resonance.

P.S. and about my recording...bear in mind, that you cannot really hear the fan, although the mic was about 2-4 inches above the fan, but you can hear the high pitch tone...corsair says, that at idle the sound level is 20db, so, this noise is louder with this annoying frequency...

That's what I asked in my first post too.

I had a Pro Plus model with an annoying high pitched fluttering noise. I got a replacement without that issue, although there's still a very low high pitched noise but not as drastic. Under load the system sounds like a jet engine, of which I have no idea if is considered normal because the first model didn't fire up the fans at 100% for the same game I tested.

• Corsair Employee
You cannot use a smartphone app and hope to accurately measure the sound decibel. Our test methodology is different. However, if your unit truly sound like a jet engine, please contact our support and we will do our best to help. Please start with a ticket and PM me the ticket number, should you strongly feel that your unit needs to be replaced. Thank you.

Aside from whether there is an issue with your system or not, the sound pressure rating for a specific component is not the same as the total volume of your system. You have a noise floor in your room if more than 20dB. Product sound pressure values are typically obtained in an anechoic chamber with a near zero noise floor. In order to make any comparison at all, you need to obtain a baseline dB reading and subtract it from the measured value. Still ignoring the accuracy of the device you’re using (typically a phone app), there is another problem. Measuring something like a single fan is relatively easy. You can take it out of the case and test it other places. Testing the pump is a bit harder. Even if you unplug all the fans,you still have the motherboard, GPU, PSU, and other hardware all adding to the cumulative volume. Frankly trying to measure this is a wasted effort. You would better off using comparative volumes to describe it. The pump should not be louder than the fans. Where most people notice these things are idle. It isn’t necessarily the dB level, but the frequency that gets your attention. The higher pitch sound may be distinctive above the relatively diffuse fan noise. Sometimes a little more fan speed will help cover this at idle.

Archived