Corsair Community

VOID Wireless 7.1 only stereo ??

Marcvado

Hello, I just bought the Corsair VOID 7.1 Wireless headset today & but it seems there only Stereo, Windows only sees them as Stereo in the configuration & no matter what i do it stays that way.

I have of course installed the drivers but that only gives me an option for Dolby on/off whilst on they give a very weak kind of 7.1 surround. This is causing me problems in games cos they wont even give me 5.1 now just stereo & in particular Codemasters Rapture3D for Dirt 2 & 3 in just stereo & wont allow me to switch to 5.1 or 7.1 it just says i need to connect a device that is 5.1 or 7.1. With my old Logitech G930 i never problems untill they broke last week, windows saw them as 7.1 and they gave 7.1.

I am i missing something or is this how these headphones are ??

Correct, Windows will see this device as stereo but that doesn't mean that the headset is unable to produce surround sound. Dolby Pro Logic IIx will convert the source audio to 7.1 surround sound.

But in your case, the reason why the 7.1 doesn't sound great is because the source material (Dirt 2 & Dirt 3) is only providing stereo so Dolby will try to create the extra channels and it won't sound as good as if the source material is providing 7.1. We will look into getting Windows to see Void as a 7.1 device, keep in mind that other games don't always require a 7.1 device to be detected to output 7.1 audio.

Wow, I never knew this. Corsair please fix this ASAP.

My Void headset already shipped, or I would have canceled my order.

I expect a 7.1 headset to show as a 7.1 headset in Windows, not stereo.

My old Razer Megalodon (The Voids were suppose to replace) shows as a 7.1 in Windows and works in 5.1 also.

Showing 7.1 or 5.1 in Windows should not cause any issues unless you're playing games from 2011 or older. Since back then the game/software will try to communicate with the hardware and if it sees that it's a dual channel it will see it as stereo unless a driver is used to say other wise. But modern games do not require this, since it uses the OS and CUE (any other APO) to determine audio limitations.

I do use software/games from 2011 and before that use surround sound. They work with my old Razer Megalodon fine.

So you are saying the surround sound won't work unless the game is after 2011? That is a lot of surround sound 7.1 or 5.1 games not compatible with the Void.

I hope I can return the Void headset I ordered that is still in shipping.

I recommend Corsair puts a big note in the item description and on the box so consumers are aware that the Void surround sound is very limited.

I'm not saying it's incompatible, it's just SOME games back then were used Direct Audio communications to determine the limitation of surround sound. We're not scrapping the idea of having this feature implemented in VOID, we're looking into it.

• 4 weeks later...
Correct, Windows will see this device as stereo but that doesn't mean that the headset is unable to produce surround sound. Dolby Pro Logic IIx will convert the source audio to 7.1 surround sound.

But in your case, the reason why the 7.1 doesn't sound great is because the source material (Dirt 2 & Dirt 3) is only providing stereo so Dolby will try to create the extra channels and it won't sound as good as if the source material is providing 7.1. We will look into getting Windows to see Void as a 7.1 device, keep in mind that other games don't always require a 7.1 device to be detected to output 7.1 audio.

Hello, I've just purchased and set up the Void Wireless headset, and I'm seeing some issues where games that expect Windows to know 7.1 is available/default in order to use 7.1, don't do 7.1 audio over these headsets.

Overall I like everything about the unit except for this extremely unfortunate issue.

Is there any update available on the comment quoted here to flag the unit as 7.1 to the operating system? That would make these headsets much more universal.

I'd like to throw my vote in for having a 5.1 and/or 7.1 option added.

I have dolby enabled, but when a game is outputting stereo because it sees a stereo device, the surround quality drops considerably.

Elite Dangerous was the game that made me realize this, actually. I was able to change my old headset to 5.1 and the surround sound in Elite was awesome! While the surround works on the VOID (with dolby enalbed), it isn't all that great.

I don't know how many games do this, but just having the option would probably eliminate any compatibility issues...

Hi Pixelito,

We've mentioned this in another thread, we've already decided to make it enumerate as a 7.1 device and a driver update along with a CUE update will be out this Friday.

Oh man! Sorry that I didn't see that, Chris! Thank you for the update! ♥

Hi Pixelito,

We've mentioned this in another thread, we've already decided to make it enumerate as a 7.1 device and a driver update along with a CUE update will be out this Friday.

Does this mean we will finally see an update to the v1500 software as well? Or is this yet another update for the new headsets?

I have same issues and think that windows should recognize the device as 7.1 capable. As some of my games (splinter cell blacklist) give me either stereo, or 5.1 out. And when selecting between the 2 options, neither one sound anything like surround sound. Battle Field 4 works great though. Chris with corsair mentioned an update this last friday. I have 1.10.67. Hasn't that one been the current for some time now?

Tried out beta 1.11.85 and that fixed the problem with windows only recognizing the device as 2 channel stereo. It now reports 8 channels and the testing feature in windows seems to test the virtual surround sound pretty well. Sounds good. Hope this fixes the problem in my games that i'm pretty sure support Dolby Pro logic II. So, update that's coming should fix this.

Archived