Corsair Community

Upgradability of GPU (and board)

danijelsh

Hello everyone, I'm about to order a One pro, and I'm interested in how hard it would be to put a new GPU and reassemble the water-cooling unit say 4-5 years from now. Does the case have enough room for regular, non water-cooled GPU if I decide to go that route? If so, does blower or open air have advantage over the other? Is there some case limitation in regards to the layout of mini ITX board that would make it hard to upgrade in the future? I would probably keep and use the configuration of one pro for the next 7-8 years, maybe even 9, but the thing that will most likely be the first to see the upgrade is the GPU.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

From what I've read and what I've seen thus far it does look like you could put at least a 2 slot card in the one and maybe a three slot if you took our the radiator, pending you get the version with a radiator on the GPU side. You would want to be sure the length of the GPU is good as well. It's possible a PSU upgrade and additional cabling might be needed too depending on the connections on the card.

The water block for the radiator may not fit on other hardware as well.

Blower designs are probably best to help exhaust air through the top of the case too.

Overall there is room for upgrades in my opinion, I bought it primarily to upgrade it actually, but you will want to be pretty comfortable with working on hardware to upgrade it.

That's the problem for myself. I wouldn't feel pretty confident taking it apart to put the latest and greatest graphics card in, having never built a PC in my life.

But like I've already stated in the other penultimate post, how can they advertise it as future proof and designed to grow with you?

WHEN, you can't even upgrade the GPU unless your an expert, and there is no such service offering it????

Well, Corsair???

Answer the question, please?

Good question, but clearly getting a response around here regarding the GPU is a futile exercise.

Yeah :roll:

Having built around 10 computers so far and opened up 4 laptops for either cleaning or hdd/ssd swap, I on the other hand feel pretty confident about tinkering with corsair one, however I would really like a tutorial or some guide. I want the computer to stay silent when I upgrade the gpu, so I would like to see a tutorial for removing the blower cooler and installing the corsair's water one, especially when it isn't an off the shelf cooler that comes with instructions.

• Corsair Employee

There are a LOT of steps involved, more than appear at first blush, and to be frank, we legally CAN'T help you try to upgrade the graphics card. The reason for this is that the bracket we use to stabilize the card for shipping is anchored to the rear AC power extension (yeah, I know). To give you some idea as to what would be required to upgrade your graphics card:

1. Dismantling the AC power extension to remove the stabilizing bracket.

2. Upgrading the PSU to an SF500 (which we do not sell separately) to supply adequate power to any card faster than a 1080.

3. Making an additional cable available for powering a card like a 1080 Ti.

4. Switching to a faster case fan (rated for 1450RPM) to provide adequate cooling to all parts involved.

5. If you were to choose to use an air-cooled card instead, you would actually break the cooling system, as the system fan is driven off of the waterblock on the GPU.

6. If you were to choose to use C1's liquid cooling system for your card, you would need an adequate replacement for the HG10 bracket used to mount the block - and cool the VRMs.

We explored having a graphics card upgrade service, wherein users could send their systems to our service centers to have them upgraded. We found that the cost would be so exorbitant to all involved that nobody would go for it and scrapped the project.

There are a LOT of steps involved, more than appear at first blush, and to be frank, we legally CAN'T help you try to upgrade the graphics card. The reason for this is that the bracket we use to stabilize the card for shipping is anchored to the rear AC power extension (yeah, I know). To give you some idea as to what would be required to upgrade your graphics card:

1. Dismantling the AC power extension to remove the stabilizing bracket.

2. Upgrading the PSU to an SF500 (which we do not sell separately) to supply adequate power to any card faster than a 1080.

3. Making an additional cable available for powering a card like a 1080 Ti.

4. Switching to a faster case fan (rated for 1450RPM) to provide adequate cooling to all parts involved.

5. If you were to choose to use an air-cooled card instead, you would actually break the cooling system, as the system fan is driven off of the waterblock on the GPU.

6. If you were to choose to use C1's liquid cooling system for your card, you would need an adequate replacement for the HG10 bracket used to mount the block - and cool the VRMs.

We explored having a graphics card upgrade service, wherein users could send their systems to our service centers to have them upgraded. We found that the cost would be so exorbitant to all involved that nobody would go for it and scrapped the project.

Thank you, that was very insightful. I honestly had no idea about things such as the stabilising bracket or system fan power. I just hope that during the next 5 years, corsair or someone will come up a with a relatively easy way to replace the gpu.

Archived