Corsair Community

TX650w

Skurge

This PSU has been excellent, but today I noticed it was MUCH hotter than it normally had been in the past. This was during a gaming session. I checked the fan and it was turning at a speed much slower than my case fans.

Is this a sensor problem that is not telling the PSU fan to increase speed when under a heavier power usage load?

What are your ambient temps ? Most importantly, what does your system consist of and how is your PSU placed, i.e. are you extracting air from inside your case or from below ? If from below, have you checked for dust accumalation on the underside of your case ? If the fan is ectracting from inside the case, what is your case airflow like ?

Ambient temp in the room varies from 76-80 degrees, and I leave the case open.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Hardrive: WD 500Gb Black

PSU is on the bottom of the Case, drawing from underneath. It is elevated for better draw, and kept clean.

• Corsair Employee
That is not uncommon when the room temp is that High and PSU's can generate a lot of heat when under load but if the system is stable I would not be too concerned just do as much as you can to keep it cool. Air Conditioning may be the next item you want to purchase.

Air Conditioning may be the next item you want to purchase.

lol...was that a wisecrack?:sigh!: My room stays that temp summer and winter, it's just the nature of the room; it is Air Conditioned. The PSU has never gotten that hot previously, hence my concern and reason for posting, since like I said in my original post the PSU fan speed was extremely slow, and it should not have been.

• Corsair Employee

Skurge

No It was not a cute comment I assumed like me you did not have A/C sorry!

But that is rather warm for computers these days I think 60-70 deg F is suggested for a room temp especially with high power systems.

And if you are having trouble with your system what zsde suggest may be another choice to have your system tested.

Archived