Corsair Community

VX450: Crash when playing Games

Bostil87

Hello all,

firstly I would like to apologize myself for my bad english, but this board is the last chance to solve my problem, I think ;)

About a week ago I bought a new system, which has the following components:

Intel E8400

MSI Neo2 FR P35

Colorful Geforce 8800 GTS G92

2x 2GB A-Data Vitesta CL5

Corsair VX450

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

My Problem:

When I start a 3D-application (e.g. a game or a benchmark) the system shuts down without giving a bluescreen or another error message.

I've tested several bios-settings/-firmwares; drivers; bulletins; Prime; Memtest; WinXp, instead of Vista...

When using WinXp the systems made a more stable impression, because I used a modified Omega-Driver (169.21 i think). Now, you might think that I have solved the problem by using another OS - false, because there's another curious problem:

When I start a GPU-Benchmark (f.e. FUR), which stresses the video-card a bit, and I turn on the television, the PC shuts down also.

I would like to use another power supply or another videocard, but I haven't those components, which I could change to test.

Yesterday I changed again from XP to Vista (because for me Vista is more useful) and used also modified Omega-Driver with another Version-number (169.25 i think) with the hopening Vista runs as stable as XP. That wasn't the case!

Thanks in advance!

Yours Bostil

• Corsair Employee
From what you have described I would think that the PSU would not be a likely cause for these issues. If you only get errors when you are running 3D applications, then that would point to a faulty video card, or some sort of conflict with the drivers/software you are using. The only way to really know for sure would be to test either the PSU or the Video card in a known working system to see if you get the same issues.

When I start a GPU-Benchmark (f.e. FUR), which stresses the video-card a bit, and I turn on the television, the PC shuts down also.

You mean the TV set, not tv card on pc? If so thats a power problem, but not the psu. Its your outlet at wall. Brown outs will do just what you describe. The voltage drops below what needed and the pc will shut down as if it didnt it could damage it! Low voltage can harm just aswell as too much. But most psus protect against this. If you did mean the tv set, then Id have a electrician check your wiring in that room, or if your able (know how) check the voltage yourself.

A quick fix would be a UPS system which will prevent low voltage situations. You wont need a real high capacity one, just enough to buffer out the voltage drop when a load surges (like tv turning on). Devices take more power to turn on then to run. Also make sure the circuit isnt overloaded, that is too many things plugged in. THings like surge strips add many outlets and if you have too many things going it will exceed- then if the fuse or breaker is overrated or defective -oh thats dangerous.

In the end though, such wiring could be arisk of fire. Best solution is to have someone with knowledge check the circuit that is causing problems. I had 4 years of residential wiring, so I do know the danger in this kind of situation. Be carefull, and if you dont know wiring DONT do it yourself.

Maybe just the PSU isn't powerfull enough? I had (and have) this problem when I over-overclocked the CPU. While testing for stability at max. after that the rig would reboot without warning. Otherwise everything is stable. So I'm changing for a 520W now.

Thanks for all answers!

Now, im running a modified Geforce driver on Windows Vista with Service Pack 1....and i have ran the benchmark again -> up to now no problems...i hope this will go so on! Furthermore I installed a even more up to date Bios-Version....

The problem with the TV-Set should be dealt with careful, I understand. But so far i'm happy that my configuration runs without crash...till now...

Hello again,

I follow Ramguys post and describe, what happens yesterday...

I've installed Vista Service Pack 1 with the modified Nvidia driver. I started the GPU-Benchmark twice and let it run about 10 Minutes without problems. After that I installed Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Pc game - 3D) and played it a while. Before I went sleep, I wanted to run Prime95 a bit - so, I've started Prime95 with the heavy scan option. Meanwhile I started the GPU-Benchmark again and the Computer crashed down again.

Me surprises that the fan of the videocard (Geforce 8800 GTS) runs always at 30% - really always: when the videocard is idled with 30% or even with 100%.

When I'm at home, I'm going to set a specific fan-setting in Rivatuner and hope the System runs smooth...

Hello again,

Me surprises that the fan of the videocard (Geforce 8800 GTS) runs always at 30% - really always: when the videocard is idled with 30% or even with 100%.

It's OK, don't wory. It is a peculiarity of the 8800 cooling system; it almost always runs at 30% and speeds up when the temperature rises to about 90 degrees Celsius, don't remember the exact number. Generally it's a good idea to install an aftermarket cooling system there.

****, i hoped this was the problem, because with Rivatuner I would be able to fix this issue.

But its nearly incredible that the fans runs at 30% at a temperature of 80° ... :idea:

Well, believe it or not, but that's the case. If you're afraid that your system crashes because of videocard overheat - well, I don't think that's the case, because when a videocard overheats it usually freezes up the image, but doesn't restart the system. However, if you don't feel comfortable with the cooling system, then change it. Your other option is to try using Riva. Or, alternatively, if Riva doesn't help, you'll have to use NiBiTor and a flasher to modify the videocard BIOS settings, those concerning the fan speeds, but do this only if your hands grow from the shoulders.

So give it a try with Riva if you want, but I doubt that's your problem. I'm still not quite sure if 450 watts are enough for your system. But they should be, generally... I'd try to borrow a more powerfull PSU from someone for a couple of beers, just to test for a few days how's it working.

But its nearly incredible that the fans runs at 30% at a temperature of 80° ... :idea:

One of my BFG 8800GTOC's got up to 108C during the ATITool artifact test. Once I installed a Zalman VF1000 + TT ramsinks on the memory and VRM's it dropped my load temps by ~40C.

Xtreeme is spot on in his reply.

@Elitekiller: What do you mean with the last sentence in your post? Sorry, I'm from Germany and my ability to write/read english language is a bit limited :biggrin:

I think, I'm going to buy such a Zalman, if you can recommend it...

Yeah, EliteKiller, the non-native speakers feel confused :D

Bostil87, I'd reccomend you to buy the Zalman AND additional RAM heatsinks for the card's RAM and VRMs as well as a generally good decision, but I'm not sure it will solve your problem. So if you also do smth. with your PSU - noch einmal so gut (I in turn apologize for my Deutsch :) )

Haha! :p:

For the moment, the problem is solved, i hope. The system is stable, even at GPU-Tests...

Insted of the Zalman, I would consider to buy a Arctic Cooling Accelero, which should be as good as the Zalman...for less money :cool:

Archived