Corsair Community

Odd sort of keypress delay?

ghstber

Hello everyone. Just bought my wife and myself a Strafe RGB and am looking to see if anyone has had this issue yet:

I was working to set up a profile for Magicka (the original) so that my a key press in the QWERASDF area would ripple the color of the key (corresponding to the color of the related element) outwards from it. I was able to piece this together using a post[1] found on these forums. After setting the lighting and macros up, I went into game to find that the keypresses didn't really do anything in game - the lighting works fine. Every several keypresses, and if I held the key down, I got a keypress to register and place the related element into the casting bar.

After looking at the actions tab I went ahead and changed these over to Keypresses instead of Macros. I went back into the game and this helped, but I still notice a large amount of what feels like lag between when I press the key and when the game registers the keypress. Some of the keypresses aren't even registered.

I removed all actions from the keys QWERASDF and all "latency" went away. Has anyone encountered this sort of behavior with macros/keypresses and CUE?

I am currently running v1.12.75 of CUE and have firmware v1.33 installed for the keyboard. If relevant, my polling report rate is 1000Hz/1msec.

Thanks!

[1] - http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=780854

Could you post a screenshot or upload one of your macros? I have not experienced noticeable macro latency yet, although I have found a few games that do not "play nice" with macros - especially if there is no delay associated with the macro.

Have you tested this profile in notepad to see if key presses register without latency there?

I did test it this morning against notepad, as you said. It does appear a little more laggy than without the profile assigned to notepad, but that might just be me enjoying the new mechanical keyboard. :)

Screenshot of the macro that I am no longer using:

http://imgur.com/SV8Umcj

Screenshot of the keystroke that I am currently using:

http://imgur.com/JFnWgnT

I had switched to keystrokes because, again, the macro did not register any keypress in the game. How do I know what games are or are not "working correctly" with CUE? Do we know why some games have issues and others do not?

I don't know of a comprehensive list of games that don't work well with CUE. I was speaking generally that some games will block macros either actively or passively (especially multiplayer games)

Is using a keystroke assignment seeming like a better option regarding lag? The testing process im thinking of is:

-Test normal keyboard input (no macros)

-Test macro input

-Test macro input with lighting effects

The lighting feature you're talking about is not currently "supported" in CUE which is why you have to jump through these loops to get it to work.

Oh, the keystrokes are far and away better than macros, but still not enough to keep up with the fast-and-furious keypresses common to Magicka. It does miss some keypresses still and in general is more responsive.

Some other forums suggest using a slight delay with the keypress, maybe 50ms. I might go back to trying macros, but I also note I did not find any profiles shared for Magicka, so this might be a known issue with the game and macros in general. I will also test without lighting effects and see what happens but I suspect it's the macro keypress functionality that's causing issues.

Let us know what you find! I had trouble using macros in battlefield. I was trying to make a few callouts to let my team know where groups of enemies were, but could never get my chat - macros to work (admittedly I didn't try too hard)

But i made a macro that timed semi auto fire once and that worked well but it felt like cheating :P

OK, so, it appears that with a delay of ~40ms I seem to get the best performance. It still stutters a bit on VERY rapid keypresses (sub-40ms rapid-fire NES-style button-mashing) but it works fine otherwise and has a cool ripple effect from the key in the color of the element. Background colors also match the element. I figure next I should try macro-ing a complicated spell and seeing if it fires (probably the best metric to determine if the delay is adequate).

If I wanted to provide this profile/effects to the community, do I need to export the profile AND the effects, or just the profile?

Corsair James, mind throwing some links in? I must not be searching right but I'd love to know more about the issue.

Jkraghify, thanks for your support in all of this. I don't know that I'll be releasing the profile to the community but this thread has been helpful. Thanks again!

I did a search and found these people also needed to add delays to macros to get them to work in Magika:

Using a competitor's board: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1738699

Using AutoHotkey: https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/63046-help-with-magicka-combos/

Even the autohotkey macros I found on Magika's sub on "it" had delays of at least 25 ms for key presses up/down. I can't publish a link though because this forum censors the name of the site.

Interesting. One link says 30ms, I'd have to say that 40ms seems a little more accurate, but I might try testing in that direction. Thank you for those.

My final question - is there any sort of searchable directory for public profiles? I saw the thread by KrazyKid in here as well as the link here: http://gaming.corsair.com/en-us/rgbshare/profile-listing?type=starfe%20rgb#page=1

It doesn't appear there are many or that there's a very good way to sort and search through them. Are there any other locations for CUE profiles?

Archived