The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 06:12 AM

POST ID # = 999906
Ruok2bu Reputation: 10
Default Hard Drive Cooling in Corsair Crystal Series 680X RGB?

Anyone with a "Corsair Crystal Series 680X RGB" who can post what temperature their hard drives are at idle and working? I need the temps of a regular mechanical hard drive and an SSD.

I asked Corsair pre-sales support how this case cools its harddrives and i was told the following which doesnt really help me:

Quote:
On the back of the Crystal Series 680X there will be grilles on the back that would passively cool the HDD and SSD that would be added inside. Also, the PSU that would be attached to the case will be sideways, in which will also circulate a bit of air on the HDD and SSD and would come out the grilles on the back.
P.S. I left the spelling and grammar mistakes from the salesperson in the quote above.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:37 AM
Dajinn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1000207
Dajinn Reputation: 10

They are just stating that there is ventilation at the rear of the hard drive cage so that warm air can passively ventilate out of it and not just stay trapped. AFAIK from seeing all the reviews there wasn't an option for fan mounted cooling, you will probably have to get creative on your own for it.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:25 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1000221
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

Not much different than the 740 or similar from the past that are set up the way. People with two HDDs together get a bit warm. Single drives are rarely an issue. The obvious step is a little 80mm fan on the back grille, but I can see why you would like to avoid that.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:46 PM
NeinAce's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1005518
NeinAce Reputation: 10
Default Hot middle 5.25" drive

I have 3 5.25" drives and zero 2.5" drives. I've been running this case for about 3 weeks. Under normal load (no gaming, web browser, Google Hangout), I've found that the middle drive can run as hot as 55C. The drives on the sides run between 45-49C. My concerns is that when I do run disk-intensive tasks, the drives are going to get and remain above 50C, decreasing the life of the drives.

I'm super surprised that there is no active cooling in the separate compartment, especially as this case is called "high airflow". Typically, you want a fan blowing over your spindle disks at the minimum.

I called support, and they said that no one has complained about drive temperatures. Well, there is one now. I'm considering returning this case.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:07 AM
NeinAce's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1007253
NeinAce Reputation: 10
Default Hot middle 5.25" drive

Update on this: I added a small 40mm fan on top of the 3.5" hard drive cage blowing directly down. This took up the first slot of the 2.5" drive bay. This appears to have decreased the 3.5" drive temperatures by 12C! The drives are running between 37C to 39C.

Conclusion: Corsair, you guys need to build a drive cage that has a small fan in it!!!

Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 AM

POST ID # = 1007760
dcx4610 Reputation: 10

I love the dual chamber design but the lack of cooling in this compartment is a deal breaker to me.

I guess they assume a lot of people are going SSD or M2. If that's the case, it's perfect for you. If you have mechanical drives though, while the temps fall in spec without cooling, it's really pushing it.

One of my drives was pushing 60C in the chamber and in the low 30s in a regular can with a fan blowing over them. That's just too big of a difference.