Corsair Community

64GB for Sabertooth X79?

HateTheSnow

Hello Everyone,

I'm doing a bit of research for a proposed upgrade for the wife's video editing workstation (specs in profile), but I have a few questions regarding the reality of being able to maximize memory in the Sabertooth X79 motherboard. As I recall from several Sandy Bridge builds over the past year, it is generally not recommended to mix performance memory kits within the same system; however, I do not currently see any 64GB (8 x 8GB) kits being offered by Corsair. Assuming the same holds true for the Sandy Bridge E (X79) platform, I have a few questions.

1. Does Corsair have plans in the near future to offer any 8x8GB kits?
  2. The Sabertooth manual mentions active cooling for configurations of 8 sticks of memory. What is Corsair's recommendation on this?
  3. If active cooling is recommended, what is the likelihood of seeing a 64GB kit with Dominator heat spreaders (for compatibility with aftermarket water cooling hot plates)?

Finally, I did see that NewEgg is listing an 8-piece 32GB Vegeance kit, Corsair Part CMZ32GX3M8X1600C9, which is not currently listed on the Corsair website, so future availability does look promising.

Thanks in advance,

HateTheSnow

Archived