Corsair Community

Dual AX1500i and Corsair Link

Occamrazor

Hello guys!

Does anyone know if Corsair link detect and display stats with (2x) AX1500i psu's in the same computer? Does it run multiple instances or must it be run from a separate computer with another corsair link to be able to access the second psu info? Thank you for your time

Cheers

Occamrazor

according to ramguy,it cant be done,sorry...

Thanks for your input! do you have a link to that statement he made, there maybe something more i can gather from his words! I tried to send him a PM but he is not available!

Thanks again!

Occamrazor

• Corsair Employee

Because both AX1500i PSUs would have the same UID (the identifier to the USB bus), only one or the other PSU would show up. Same thing if you had two H100i's, for example.

One work around is to get two different Corsair PSUs. For example: An AX1500i and an HX1000i. I mean... do you REALLY need 3000W? ;):

Thanks for your input! do you have a link to that statement he made, there maybe something more i can gather from his words! I tried to send him a PM but he is not available!

Thanks again!

Occamrazor

no i sure dont as this was said well over a year ago.he didnt go into detail but only that link wouldnt see 2 ''I'' psu's.

he also didnt say if it would see 2 different models,,only not the same.

I have done some extensive poking around into the internals of how the CorsairLink software talks to the Flextronics dongle in creating my monitoring software. The reason you cannot monitor multiple PSUs is purely a software issue in way the CorsairLink Flextronics plugin code is written in that it only scans through all USB devices for the first PSU dongle it finds and then stops. The dongle itself is nothing more than a USB to RS232/422 serial converter and like any USB device you can have multiple same model/ID devices plugged in.

Unfortunately the only ways around this is either Corsair changes their code or one writes their own software to access the device.

Because both AX1500i PSUs would have the same UID (the identifier to the USB bus), only one or the other PSU would show up. Same thing if you had two H100i's, for example.

One work around is to get two different Corsair PSUs. For example: An AX1500i and an HX1000i. I mean... do you REALLY need 3000W? ;):

Thanks for chipping in Jonny! Well, it was a doubt that arose when i was discussing power usage (we mod GK110 bios, Titan,780/780Ti) with some users and a Moderator at OCN) but i believe that 4 KPE's with our skyn3t LN2 bios overvolted to +1,6V plus a 4960X with +1,6V@5,9-6,2GHZ might get in the neighborhood... :p:

Cheers

Occamrazor (Team skyn3t)

To all the guys that chimed in with a prompt help, i thank you all!

I always had a special connection to Corsair (because of most of their units i used were from good OEM's: Seasonic, DSG and Flextronics! (Good pick, right Jonny? ;))

Now with this welcome committee on my first post, im sure this is a great place too with great people!

Cheers all

Occamrazor (Team skyn3t)

I have done some extensive poking around into the internals of how the CorsairLink software talks to the Flextronics dongle in creating my monitoring software. The reason you cannot monitor multiple PSUs is purely a software issue in way the CorsairLink Flextronics plugin code is written in that it only scans through all USB devices for the first PSU dongle it finds and then stops. The dongle itself is nothing more than a USB to RS232/422 serial converter and like any USB device you can have multiple same model/ID devices plugged in.

Unfortunately the only ways around this is either Corsair changes their code or one writes their own software to access the device.

You hear that Corsair ?

Its purely a software issue, like i said earlier in the Thread i created on the Corsair link part of the forum. THe moment corsair fixes the link software to detect 2 PSUs, im ordering 2 AX1500i s.

So Corsair, im waiting.

seems like theres more and more that knows how to code better than Corsair

IMO from what I've seen this is more of a software design issue than bad coding. Looking at the front end UI one gets the impression that support for multiple PSU wasn't something considered in the big picture. Hopefully with enough requests some kind of support for this can be added.

The reason I ended up digging into all this stuff and writing my own monitor software is that I wanted to have data to appear on a Matrix Orbital LCD screen bay device. To do this I would need to be able to get ASUS MB, NVidia and now recently Corsair data. I had no idea the amount of hassle it would be to do something that should be very simple. NVidia is the only one that has a published and documented SDK (NvAPI). For ASUS I ended up having debug the ASUS Suite to figure out what its doing in order to get data without conflicting and breaking ASUS Suite (ASUS ISensors COM interface is the key). Getting Corsair PSU data ended up being the same approach of debugging the code and using a USB analyzer program to figure what its doing.

chances are Corsair never figured anyone would need/use double psu's as cases aren't designed for it and if more wattage is needed then just get a bigger psu.

using 2 1500's is alot of wattage to be needing in a build,,unless its for eye candy appeal and im guilty of that alot...;):

2x130W CPU

2x 295x2 or dual double GPU Video cards max 500W each card

Dual Imperial Monarch cards, 600W each

Lots of watercooling related stuff,

12x3,5"HDD 10x2,5"SSD, 2 optical drives, all pci slots occupied on motherboard, all ram slots occupied

actually 2x1500 PSU are going to sweat a bit under these settings.

chances are Corsair never figured anyone would need/use double psu's as cases aren't designed for it and if more wattage is needed then just get a bigger psu.

using 2 1500's is alot of wattage to be needing in a build,,unless its for eye candy appeal and im guilty of that alot...;):

Dual PSU cases exist...for example I have a server running in one of these:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-d8000/

It has an AX1200i and right now and there are only 8 drives in it, but the case holds 20 drives plus 4 in a removable drive bay, so if I expand that RAID array to maximum the power use will really add up. There is also the issue of PSU longevity against failure. I spec to not have any PSU exceed %50-%60 percent of it's maximum rating. It could be bad luck but every PSU's I had in the past running at around %80 ended up dying after 4-5 years.

• 4 weeks later...

On the review on Anandtech.com of the AX1500i, it said the version of the link software that supports the PSU is still in beta.

Perhaps Corsair will add multiple PSU functionality in the final Version.

Can anyone from Corsair team comment, if such a change of the Links software is in the plan.

It would be nice to be able to hold two of them in my system, and be able to monitor them together !

• 1 month later...

Any new news regarding this issue ?

Is corsair planning on adding dual PSU support in a future Version of corsair link ?

The could make an Adapter, like ADD2PSU, where both PSUs would be inserted their usb headers, and this adapter connects to the PC, like a usb hub of the sorts.

It probably woundt be needed, but it would be nice if it woould be made !

• 2 weeks later...

The first issue with reporting > 1 PSU is that the USB Serial Number is always "0001" which is not compliant :mad: with the USB specification and until this is corected Windows will have issues with > 1 PSU being connected via USB.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19690&stc=1&d=1414848071

If you connect the PSUs via a CL Mini this will not be an issue and the CL software might report > 1 PSU. My SIV (http://rh-software.com/) utility will report > 1 PSU :biggrin:. SIV does not have an upper limit and as it also supports multiple CL Minis I expect the only limit would be the cost of the HW :eek:.

USB-Serial-Number-0001.png.970a7be62ebcabc993267a815c0811ef.png

• 10 months later...
The limitation isn't in Link. It's in the PSU's firmware and the firmware cannot be end user updated.

So this can only be fixed in future iterations of Link compatible PSUs.

I recently discovered IgnoreHWSerNum and updated SIV to be able to easily set it (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=793207).

Given this I can't see why CL could not report multiple USB attached AX1500i PSUs and given SIV can report multiple C-Link attached feel CL should be able to.

Please will you explain why a PSU firmware update is needed?

• Corsair Employee
I recently discovered IgnoreHWSerNum and updated SIV to be able to easily set it (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=793207).

Given this I can't see why CL could not report multiple USB attached AX1500i PSUs and given SIV can report multiple C-Link attached feel CL should be able to.

Please will you explain why a PSU firmware update is needed?

The person that told me that was incorrect. One of the programmers informed me that it's slated to be fixed in the next version of Link.

Archived