Corsair Community

RMA request on X64

I have already submitted an RMA request but I haven't received an RMA number yet so I can't check the status. I have a X64 that has suddenly slowed to writes of around 20000 and reads of around 70000 according to ATTO. I am running the new firmware and was getting speeds of 130000 and 170000 up until Saturday. I tried erasing the drive and then re-imaging it and that made no difference. Please advise.

The case number is written down at home so I'll get that tonight and let you know if I still haven't gotten the RMA tomorrow. I wasn't trying to rush you, I just didn't know if there was anything else that I needed to do at this point.

Thanks

Chad

• Corsair Employee
NP there should not be anything else, do you have access to the email address you used to make the request? If so the system will send you a conformation by email that you can get the case number from.

• Corsair Employee
There is no information on the case number you will need to complete the required information like your email address and shipping information name and phone number before the request can be approved.

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest using Accronis to make and image of the drive (if you are using Windows) then use Parted magic to Wipe the drive under tools select Erase Disk and Secure Erase and then, install the drive on the system you will be using it as a second HDD and format it with the QUICK Option Only and 32k Allocation then test it with Atto again to be sure its running properly then delete the partition and image the drive back to its original image and you are done.

Actually, I used Parted Magic to secure erase the drive, but I didn't format after and then I used the image from my WHS to restore the drive. Would this make a difference? I don't own Acronis but if it will do a better job I can try that. Also if I install Acronis now and image the drive while it is performing poorly will that affect the image or is the reformatting the key to get this working correctly? Does it have to be a second drive in the main computer or can I use a USB bridge like I did previously? I'm sorry for all the questions but this is my first SSD.

BTW, thanks for all of the quick responses.

Chad

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest using another HDD so the SSD can be installed as a second HDD directly connected to the controller and yes you can use the current install it should not have any effect Accronis will not copy cluster information unless you tell it to and you dont want it to; just copy the raw data.

• Corsair Employee
It is much easier to just use another spinning HDD to image the drive to, but if you use Gparted to or parted magic to wipe the drive then you can use Gparted to align the drive, but if you are using Windows 7 that is not needed just wipe it with parted magic using the secure erase option then just let Windows 7 do the quick format during the install.

Well, I have to say that seemed to help quite a bit. Here are my ATTO results. Can you tell me if everything looks OK? Should 2.0 through 16.0 have writes that are faster than the reads? Everything else looks about normal to me now except that CrystalDiskInfo reports 94% Health (is this a problem?....the drive only has 3 months on it).

Thanks again!

x64.png.82baeda7798b9345a605acba6515bea4.png

• Corsair Employee
Well no I was talking about the speed of the drive in that reply. I have posted about the new firmware on several threads showing a decrease in health. I just assumed you would have searched the forum.

Sorry, I looked through the threads now....guess I should have seen that. One last question; could whatever wrong erasing procedure I did the first time that caused the slow down have caused any permanent damage to the drive?

Archived